British Olympic team, 1300 tests, 0 +ve!

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited November 2008 in The bottom bracket
:D
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/3249511/British-Olympians-and-Paralympians-faced-1300-drug-tests-before-Beijing.html
"More than 400 tests were carried out on the 151 athletes who provided Britain’s record medal haul at an overseas Games and 84 per cent of the tests were out of competition. All were negative"
Now, that is good news.
(I do, however, await the nay-sayers to contribute with comments along the lines that "They're on something, it's just not been detected" etc, etc.)
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    :D
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/3249511/British-Olympians-and-Paralympians-faced-1300-drug-tests-before-Beijing.html
    "More than 400 tests were carried out on the 151 athletes who provided Britain’s record medal haul at an overseas Games and 84 per cent of the tests were out of competition. All were negative"
    Now, that is good news.
    (I do, however, await the nay-sayers to contribute with comments along the lines that "They're on something, it's just not been detected" etc, etc.)

There is a difference between not testing positive and being clean

These results do only show that there have not been positive tests. To draw anyother conclusion would be erroneous.

It is not possible to say the riders are clean or that they are on something but it has not been detected- not on these figures.

I personally don't think our riders are on anything illegal . I certainly hope I am right
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    spen666 wrote:
    It is not possible to say the riders are clean or that they are on something but it has not been detected- not on these figures.

it is also possible to say there is no evidence to say they are unclean

just as there is no evidence that I can see through ladies clothes 8)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    I take it Christine Ohoroogieboogie or whatever she's called remebered to turn up for hers then?
  • Personally, I wish I had a time machine. I'd go back to 1997 and enjoy the sport [obliviously].
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    maddog 2 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

it is also possible to say there is no evidence to say they are unclean

absolutely right.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • There is nothing in those figures to suggest that UK Sport have responded to the information provided by Conte / Chambers about how drug tests are evaded.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    The old absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Didn't Rob Hales have a dodgy red cell count earlier this year?
  • i think rob hales test was a higher that above hematocrit? i think he missed the 2008 track world champs b'cos of it...

personally i think our riders are 110% clean. and that makes me all the more prouder for them and their acheivements....
  • Hornetto
    Hornetto Posts: 141
    sward29 wrote:
    I take it Christine Ohoroogieboogie or whatever she's called remebered to turn up for hers then?
    Most people think that these tests are something that you get an appointment card through for, or at least some notice that they are happening. However, I was told (by an Olympic athlete) that the reality is not that straightforward. It seems it isn't a case of 'remembering to turn up' at all.

Apparently, you have to give a 1-hour time slot and an address when you will be available every day, and bods from UK Sport (or whoever they are) can come and knock on your door any day of the year and demand a sample from you without notice. If you aren't there then you have missed a test. I think they will call you, and you will have 1 hour to get back home, but if you can't make it then you've missed a test.

The trouble with this approach is that you really can't live your life having to be at home, say, every day of the year at the same time on the basis that you could get a random test a few times a year. If, for example, you put 6am - 7am as your time slot (on the assumption that you'll probably be at home in bed), that means that you can't have a night out with friends and stay over without risking missing the potential random test the next day (which is possibly only going to happen a few times a year). Even if you get a call you could be over the drink drive limit so can't legally get there - but it would still be a missed test.

I don't claim to be an expert - just going on what I was told about it not being as straightforward as it seems.
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    I understand that it must be a pain in the backside to have to inform UK Sport or WADA whenever you change your plans but I'm afraid that it's part of the job for these guys. I read an interview about Mark Cavendish recently where he discussed out of competition testing and he said that all he has to do is send a text/email or leave a voice message if he's changed his plans and won't be at the prespecified location. Hardly a real chore when most people have mobiles or a BlackBerry these days.

My point about Ohorugu is the fact that she managed to miss three tests which I have to admit in the current sporting climate makes me very suspicious about her acheivements. If a professional athlete missed one test, let alone two tests, you think that they would be somewhat concerned about missing a third and jeapordising their career, and would do everything in their powers to comply with the testing system. It is the same for anyone who depends on their car for their job and has managed to acquire 9 points on their driving licence. They would stick rigidly to the speed limit until their licence was clean again.
  • sward29 wrote:
    I understand that it must be a pain in the backside to have to inform UK Sport or WADA whenever you change your plans but I'm afraid that it's part of the job for these guys. I read an interview about Mark Cavendish recently where he discussed out of competition testing and he said that all he has to do is send a text/email or leave a voice message if he's changed his plans and won't be at the prespecified location. Hardly a real chore when most people have mobiles or a BlackBerry these days.

My point about Ohorugu is the fact that she managed to miss three tests which I have to admit in the current sporting climate makes me very suspicious about her acheivements. If a professional athlete missed one test, let alone two tests, you think that they would be somewhat concerned about missing a third and jeapordising their career, and would do everything in their powers to comply with the testing system. It is the same for anyone who depends on their car for their job and has managed to acquire 9 points on their driving licence. They would stick rigidly to the speed limit until their licence was clean again.

This absolutely true, its a part of the job.
  • sward29 wrote:

This absolutely true, its a part of the job.