Glasses to help you see traffic from rear

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    it would be better to have galsses to stop drivers from left hooking you or enven passing too close. :?

as for hte glasses is it that hard to do a check b4 you move out ?
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wouldnt they dazzle you with headlights a fair bit ?

I'm not convinced - but a lot of Americans seem to swear by their rear view mirrors.
  • cougie wrote:
    Wouldnt they dazzle you with headlights a fair bit ?

Sunglasses at night? I'm obviously not cool enough for that! :D
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh they're sunglasses ! Clearly not designed for the UK then ? Sun ?? ;-)
  • I think that these glasses wouldn't remove the need to actually look in the situation shown on the bikeradar article...

I know I'm always looking around, aware of my own mortality let's say... therefore I wouldn't need them.

I'd also argue that all other cyclists ought to be doing the same... :shock:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    A good idea, I'd love to try them before considering buying them
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I think that these glasses wouldn't remove the need to actually look in the situation shown on the bikeradar article...

I know I'm always looking around, aware of my own mortality let's say... therefore I wouldn't need them.

I'd also argue that all other cyclists ought to be doing the same... :shock:
    +1
    The shoulder check also gives cars behind a clue that you may be about to move your line. A couple of shoulder checks in quick succession and most cars back off a bit in my experience.
    I wear clear glasses at the moment but am careful to choose ones that don't obscure peripheral (threat detection) vision. These nikes would be an advance but only in addition to normal riding procedures :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Now the cyclist can see he's about to be mown down after making a stupid manoeuvre

concepthindsight3-500-90-500-70.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    M.Cole wrote:

Do you have to ride along whilst holding them out in front of you :lol:
  • Presumably they let you check out hotties without the full-on pervo stare which I'm told can be offputting

So for that reason I'm in
    <a>road</a>
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Now the cyclist can see he's about to be mown down after making a stupid manoeuvre

If you were to rely on glasses like those before making a manoeovre like that you would have a life span measured in minutes.

its like a car with rear view and side mirrors, you can only rely on them so much.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Clever Pun wrote:

I'm more worried about the invisible helicopter that seems to be landing on top of him
    <a>road</a>
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    That pics misleading. Aside fro the obvious helicopter issue, look at the red lights and you can see that the car has jumped them, as opposed to the more normal situation of the cyclist jumping them.

The problem is that the kind of people who would buy these are probably the people who'd look anyway. People like the arse on an MTB that I cam across this morning who don't look at all wouldn't think they needed them.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I'm wondering about the distracting effect of slightly increasing you field of vision. The human brain doesn't really enjoy it's senses being messed about with that much. At least mine doesn't, it like things in a nice routine sensory input.lol
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    JonGinge wrote:
    The shoulder check also gives cars behind a clue that you may be about to move your line. A couple of shoulder checks in quick succession and most cars back off a bit in my experience.
    I wear clear glasses at the moment but am careful to choose ones that don't obscure peripheral (threat detection) vision. These nikes would be an advance but only in addition to normal riding procedures :)
    I'd agree. It looks, at a guess, that the increased peripheral vision is somewhere around 15 degrees, so 'life savers' (over the shoulder checks) would still be needed, but you'd see more. Any extra vision's to be welcomed as far as I'm concerned.

In the past, I've used a glasses mounted mirror and found it worthwhile - with a small flick of the head you could see right behind yourself. It did take a day or two to get used to though and it left a blind spot.

I'd definitely consider them depending on trials / reviews.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill