pumps

percusski
percusski Posts: 41
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
opinions on either frame mounting or smaller design kept in rucksack?

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I'd go frame mounted (taped on) - less likely to forget it. Track pump at home to actually inflate tyres.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I've given up with mini pumps now after a couple let me down (just when you need them most). A decent frame pump is now my tool of choice - Zefal HPX or WrenchForce are both pretty good and quite capable of inflating the tyres to 100psi+
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd go for frame mounting if you dont leave the bike anywhere likely to get it nicked.

Cannondale do a nice little metal one that clips to your bottle cage - worked for me last night anyway.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Has anyone tried this one as it looks like the Top peak one but I have never seen it in the flesh ( the top peak that is )
  • feel
    Sicknote wrote:
    Has anyone tried this one as it looks like the Top peak one but I have never seen it in the flesh ( the top peak that is )

I can see your logic, but i would go for something lightweight as an emergency get you home and have the proper track pump at home. I suspect that will struggle to get really high pressures and it will be unnecessarily heavy .(cue someone to say its brilliant )
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Frame pump - don't leave home without it - its one of those items you never want to think you need, but when you need to one, it needs to be able to pump the tyre up! (that's my expericene anway) :P
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    feel wrote:
    Sicknote wrote:

I can see your logic, but i would go for something lightweight as an emergency get you home and have the proper track pump at home. I suspect that will struggle to get really high pressures and it will be unnecessarily heavy .(cue someone to say its brilliant )

yes Feel agreed - all you need is to get you home I have a topeak micro rocket http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... OPEPUMM210
    they say it gets 160psi in reality it will get 90 - 100 psi - but it will get you home and will fit in your back pocket

thats what I'd go with
  • feel
    Great minds think alike Sicrow :lol: That is the very pump i have taped on beside my water. The tape is just to stop the light fingered ones having it away too quickly . I have only had to use it once - bit slow but did the job.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would get a Topeak Road Morph it is the best pump you will ever use other than a track pump. Genuinely capable of the required pressures, highly ergonomic.
  • sicknote
    alfablue
    that looks like the one at Halfords but is for £20, can you tell me how long it is when closed so I can see if they are the same size.

Thanks Sicknote
  • alfablue
    Size – 35 x 5.7 x 2.8cm

It looks similar but not the same, the halfords one claims 120psi, topeak 160, it doesn't have a gauge either - for only £7 more the genuine Topeak will be well worth it! Buy cheap buy twice!
  • sicknote
    alfablue wrote:
    Size – 35 x 5.7 x 2.8cm

It looks similar but not the same, the halfords one claims 120psi, topeak 160, it doesn't have a gauge either - for only £7 more the genuine Topeak will be well worth it! Buy cheap buy twice!

Thanks
    That answers that question, topeak it is then :D
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    got these

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=2075

on both my bikes - been a lifesaver on a couple of occasions. Heard people say mini pumps always let you down - but been delighted with these.

As regards to a track pump - got one from argos £10 - lasted about 2 years - recently go one from lidl for £5 - fine so far.
  • alfablue
    I think there is a real advantage to pumps with a flexible tube to attach to the valve (like the Road Morph), with ordinary pumps that attach direct to the valve, there is the potential for the clumsy (i.e. me!) to bend or snap the valve when the pumping effort increases. The Road Morph also works like a mini track pump so you put your foot on the base and pump down against the road using your body weight, much easier.
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    alfablue wrote:
    I think there is a real advantage to pumps with a flexible tube to attach to the valve (like the Road Morph), with ordinary pumps that attach direct to the valve, there is the potential for the clumsy (i.e. me!) to bend or snap the valve when the pumping effort increases. The Road Morph also works like a mini track pump so you put your foot on the base and pump down against the road using your body weight, much easier.

I agree which is why I bought one of these:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Lezyn ... 360034751/

Very happy with it - Well built, small , light and works very well.
  • ok so next question is spare tubes or puncture repair kit? Thinking about travelling a light as possible (aren't we all).
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    percusski wrote:
    ok so next question is spare tubes or puncture repair kit? Thinking about travelling a light as possible (aren't we all).
    Both, or at least tubes plus instant patches.
    There's always the chance of more punctures than tubes, and if it's wet patches don't always stick well.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    edited October 2008
    Duplicate
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Or simply lie in wait and mug a passing tourist or commuter?

I always carry a spare tube for each wheel size, and tend to replace the tube at the roadside then repair the p*nct*re at coffee or lunch time.

I have a full puncture repair kit at work (plus another spare tube for each size) and simply carry a couple of patches and a small tube of glue with they're on the seatpack.

I also use the Road Morph.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Jd987
    Jd987 Posts: 9
    for a newbie like me, the discussions here are really useful. I brought a copy of haynes bike book, but the discussion here are much more informative. good stuff :D:D

just one question. do people use those cartridges, I see them on websites. is it something used by racing teams etc