Schwalbe Marathon Plus - Reflective side wall?

jon208
jon208 Posts: 335
edited November 2008 in Commuting chat
Right, following on from yesterdays post about flataway tape and my run of punctures I've decided my Conti Sport Contacts are ready for the bin after getting yet another puncture today - glass, again. :roll:

I've decided I want the most puncture proof tyre I can get and it seems the Matathon Plus is the most robust out there and it's available in the same as my current tyre size (700x32) I'll just view the extra weight & rolling resistance as more training - not as if the commuter bike is a light weight as it is!

Anyone know if these tyres have reflective sidewalls? Some ads suggest they do, others don't. It's not vital but It'd be a nice plus if they did.

Jon
Yorkshires No1 broken glass magnet :evil:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they can come in both flavours.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jon208
    Cheers, any ideas where to get reflective ones from? I think the ones on Wiggle are the non reflective flavour.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Have a look on Ebay. I bought a mtb pair for the price of a single tyre.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Brilliant tyre

This is this cheapest I have seen them anywhere

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 2b6s142p31

I paid nearly £60 for mine

Also in the description is says these are the reflective wall ones :wink:

Edit, hadn't checked ebay :oops:
  • Before postage this site does them cheaper ;)
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... 93a7815a1f

My pair from bike24 did have reflective sidewalls.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...they are only reflective if you keep them clean...

...for puncture protection they are the best commuter tyre... 8) :D ...ever!!!
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • ChrisLS wrote:
    ...they are only reflective if you keep them clean...

...for puncture protection they are the best commuter tyre... 8) :D ...ever!!!

+1 (Don't rely on them to be reflective after a week, unless you want to clean them regularly).

+1 (very happy with mine, I once was the glass magnet of Birmingham, I still maybe)
    FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro
  • Andy65
    Andy65 Posts: 14
    Hi Jon208,

How about trying some of these http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1068-marathon-supreme.html only slightly wider.

Andy
  • Andy65 wrote:
    Hi Jon208,

How about trying some of these http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1068-marathon-supreme.html only slightly wider.

Andy

Andy, I was considering them as my next purchase but some independent reviews that I have read indicate that the p******e proof is not as good as the pluses. (this is my main reason for using plus's)

I would imagine that the supreme's will be faster but the op's is looking at p proof.

I think they will still be my next tyres anyway :lol:

If they are not as good then I can always go back to the plus's
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    BikePlus.....(www.bikeplus.co.uk) based down in South Croydon can sort you out a pair for £42

I got mine from there a while back, really friendly. As I lived local I actually collected at store but I think they do delive judging from the site :-)

I got 700*25 (like hens teeth!) with the reflective sidewalls and they really do glow, even with all the cr4p on them!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I live near Bikeplus too, and they are friendly. They're the sister shop of GB Cycles, which I also live near.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Jamey wrote:
    I live near Bikeplus too, and they are friendly. They're the sister shop of GB Cycles, which I also live near.

You live between the 2 or just in the area in general!
    Had a look at your photography BTW, all very nice!

I recognize that tram sign - top of Church Street :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I've been considering getting the 26 x 1.35 sizes, but on CRC's site there's a general consensus that they are a nightmare to fit, so if you do get a puncture on a cold dark miserable night in the pouring rain it's gonna be bike rage!
    :?: Has anyone used the Schwalbe Marathon Kevlar Belt Reflective Tyre ? They come in a slightly wider 1.5 size but are they a pig to fit also? :?:
  • jon208
    I've just finished fitting mine and can confirm that they are a swine to fit, managed it OK though but not sure how much I'd fancy trying to fit them crouched by the side of the road in the rain on a dark night with numb fingers holding a torch in my mouth! Having said that I've got my fingers crossed that these tyres will end my spate of punctures and I won't have to take them off for a long time.........
  • Just ordered a pair of the Schwalbe Marathon Kevlar Belt Reflective Tyres from Wiggle, with one of those Crank Brothers Speed levers....will post up how the fitting goes! :x :x :x
  • The narrow Marathon Plus tyres are difficult to fit. I would recommend to use cable ties or string to keep the tyres on the rim. It took me 40 minutes to fit the first one and about 10 minutes to fit the second once I had figured it out. They have gone about 1500km so far without any p*****es. I carry a few cable ties with me in my repair kit in my bag for the commute just in case, but I am hoping not to have to use them.

As per the other posters on the reflective rims.
    "He was pedalling slowly in the middle of the street, reading a newspaper which he held with both hands spread open before his eyes. Every now and then he rang his bell without interrupting his reading"
  • The "non plus" ones I got in 1.5" wide are simply superb, I have to say- got them inflated to 85psi and they roll brilliantly, almost as good as the sport contacts but with more comfort and some reassuring tread. Fitted them to some new wheels from Merlin with DT x455 rims and can fit them with my hands, so removal should be a breeze!! I always carry a spare tube and repair kit so no worries really...recommended(rims needed drilled out to 8mm for the car valve inner tubes I'd bought though...hate Presta!) :lol::lol::lol:
  • the pluses are very good, very robust tires, good amount of grip, even copes okay on wet muddy bridleways, once up to speed they roll well though they are heavy and do give a somewhat leaden feeling.
  • Good tyres. I have them on the tandem. Take roads, canal paths and gentle forest tracks in their stride. Bugger to fit though.

No punctures yet, but same applies for the last few thousand miles commuting, latterly on Conti 4 seasons 23c, so maybe I'm just lucky.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    I've had scwalbe mp's on my Specialized Tricross for around 6 months and on my Giant for 10 months before that.

I ride around 100 miles a week and have yet to have a puncture.

Great tyres, would never use anything else.

Stu