Frame Change - Price of Labour

Russell Smith
Russell Smith Posts: 229
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
All,

What' a rough estimate of the cost of labour (Per Hour or (Total) for a replacement Frame.

Cheers In Advance

Russ

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    £100 - £150 all up I'd suggest. Depends how much needs adjusting for the new frame, though.

I've swapped frames like-for-like before (post-crash) and the mechs have gone back on still indexed...
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    All,

What' a rough estimate of the cost of labour (Per Hour or (Total) for a replacement Frame.

Cheers In Advance

Russ

My LBS did the whole swap and full new bike build for £40 quid (I knew the guy, and asked for a whole job quote) - walked in with my "old" Road bike and my New Ribble frame & forks - picked it up the next day and had a fully built Ribble bike - LBS did an excellent job - Sold my old Frame & forks on Ebay. At a guess, a competent LBS mechanic could do the whole job in around 3 - 4 hours max.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I was charged £100 for a frame swap by EBC a few years ago, which sounds steep but considering a proper service is in the region of £40-£60 is probably about average considering the amount of work involved. I've since spent £50 on tools and have done them myself ever since. It's not that difficult, if a little time consuming.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Mettan wrote:
    All,

Cheers In Advance

Russ

My LBS did the whole swap and full new bike build for £40 quid (I knew the guy, and asked for a whole job quote) - walked in with my "old" Road bike and my New Ribble frame & forks - picked it up the next day and had a fully built Ribble bike - LBS did an excellent job - Sold my old Frame & forks on Ebay. At a guess, a competent LBS mechanic could do the whole job in around 3 - 4 hours max.
    That's great, but I suspect you got a bargain, the going rate should be £25-£40 per hour. Either that or they are very fast and efficient and did it in an hour.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    If you are just talking about a steel or alloy frame I'll do it for 25 quid plus bits :lol:
    If it's carbon pay the full rate, too easy to over tighten :cry:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace