The Millbank wall of wind returns

gradiric
gradiric Posts: 89
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Having been lulled... into a false sense of cycling prowess by the relative lack of wind in London in recent weeks, got a sharp reminder of winter's potential this evening along the Embankment and the notorious wind tunnel around the Millbank Tower...
Time VRS Pro-Team 08 – weekend steed
Condor Moda - commute
Scott something or other - manky old MTB

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ahhh the invisible fluffy pillow to the face.

Hits with an almost audible WHUMP!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Suvren wimps.

Bet you've never been on a bus stopped dead in it's tracks by th wind, on an esturial bridge about 20m from the water?

Sod cycling in this weather....
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gradiric wrote:
    Having been lulled... into a false sense of cycling prowess by the relative lack of wind in London in recent weeks, got a sharp reminder of winter's potential this evening along the Embankment and the notorious wind tunnel around the Millbank Tower...

It was hilarious. The drafting fairies were frantically looking around for that wheel to hang on to. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I went through about 8pm. Not so many drafting fairies at that time but a few slowbies in their hi-viz parachutes, er, jackets. :wink:

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I was fearing after reading the Weather Report thread in the afternoon
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    nwallace wrote:
    Suvren wimps.

Bet you've never been on a bus stopped dead in it's tracks by th wind, on an esturial bridge about 20m from the water?

Yes. My firth is bigger than yours.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    nwallace wrote:
    Suvren wimps.

No I've never been on a bus stopped dead by the wind... 'cos I ride a bicycle and am friggin aerodynamic.
    nwallace wrote:

*cough* *cough* wimp *cough* *cough*
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    It was hilarious. The drafting fairies were frantically looking around for that wheel to hang on to. :lol:

I was manning up large and picked up a guy in Twickenham CC kit who Klungon the entire length of the embankment, Fulham (though didn't push on in traffic) Parsons Green, nearly killed me on the Col De Putney as I was running at rate three and by this time shagged keeping my nose clean, through Putney and Queens Ride, over the Bolan Death Bridge we had a chat and did he say "Thanks for pulling me the length of London in this stiff wind - I feel a bit of a free loading shit - but big up for pushing on like that"

No.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Fcuk me it was blowy... I headed up to Willesden Green and had the cross wind all the way. I hate crosswinds especially with the slightly deep rims on the Pearson, I was getting blown all over the shop. Hardly any folk out this morning, although I really enjoyed toying with a fully hybrided up bloke in a funny skaters helmet. He tried to give me a lance style "look" then went for it, legs spinning like mad. I let hem think he was pulling a way for a minute or so then took him, sitting up and adjusting my iPod. He didn't look happy! Serves him right for fcuking with a roadie. :twisted:

:lol:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg I officially hate you and your signature! You're the one who's engaging in a ring reduction process not me! :shock:

MTFU mr T

:roll:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    gradiric wrote:

MTFU :twisted:

In true SCR fashion your post should have read "Was there any wind last night? For some reason I had a whole peleton of drafting fairies stuck to my rear wheel last night..."

And once again, MTFU :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Wrath Rob

Wrath means turning in old Norse, as in turning point. Cape Wrath on the north coast of Scotland is so named, not because of any connection with angry seas, but because it was the navigation landmark used by the longboats. Learned that last night from a book. Thought that I would share. Now I probably should do some work.
  • Greg T
    Greg I officially hate you and your signature! You're the one who's engaging in a ring reduction process not me! :shock:

MTFU mr T

:roll:

Hey what can i say, perception in the manning up space is reality and for whatever reason BD has "fingered" your ring as not being up to muster.

Suggest you invest in some big talk to up your mincedex rating

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,013
    Wall of Wind! :lol:

London? :lol::lol:

Come to the North Coast of Ireland

And it's to snow on Tuesday!

(all should ignore the fact that the bike has been in the shed since last weekend due to a really really bad cold) :oops:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    anyone who suffers from klingons tagnuts or dangleberrys should take the following medicinal advice

it's quite simple...

cycle faster and drop them you nancy boys!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Greg T
    Littigator wrote:

Big talk,

You couldn't even keep up with the SCR thread let alone drop off an EPO fueled, aero helmeted, verge of the GB track team pursuit rider on a helium filled bike like I had hunting me for five miles last night......

He was nine foot tall and didn't cast a shadow.

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Greg T wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Big talk,

You couldn't even keep up with the SCR thread let alone drop off an EPO fueled, aero helmeted, verge of the GB track team pursuit rider on a helium filled bike like I had hunting me for five miles last night......

He was nine foot tall and didn't cast a shadow.

Dude, I've told you before...you've really got to STOP eating those funny mushrooms!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Goddam, my first thread and I've been MTFU-ed...this place is a battleground.
    Time VRS Pro-Team 08 – weekend steed
    Condor Moda - commute
    Scott something or other - manky old MTB
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gradiric wrote:
    Goddam, my first thread and I've been MTFU-ed...this place is a battleground.

Word.

More action tonight. Just getting changed. :twisted:

(And I haven't an ounce of energy in me. :shock: )
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    nwallace wrote:
    Suvren wimps.

Yes. My firth is bigger than yours.

The Tay is a bit puny in width but it makes up for it in river Length, though my memory of the Forth bridge was side railings at the height of my knee at the bottom of the stroke.

Was fun today, got to work faster than I got home, verious bits of fast downhil lost and a good helping wind up the A&E brae.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days