mtb to road

gazofglos
gazofglos Posts: 21
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all i have been riding mtb for several years but have just started dabbling in road riding and have bought my self a second hand carrera valor ( not the best i know ) but it is in like new condition i am going to have a go at time trials next year so this is perfect to do some training on through the winter i was going to upgrade the wheels but after reading other posts on the forum it seams a better idea to just upgrade the tyres for now, has anyone got any suggestions of of which ones would be a good choice. just out of interest i timed myself over a hilly ten miles yesterday for first time at 42 min. how much quicker do i have to get so that i don't embarrass myself next spring?

Comments

• gazofglos wrote:
    Hi all i have been riding mtb for several years but have just started dabbling in road riding and have bought my self a second hand carrera valor ( not the best i know ) but it is in like new condition i am going to have a go at time trials next year so this is perfect to do some training on through the winter i was going to upgrade the wheels but after reading other posts on the forum it seams a better idea to just upgrade the tyres for now, has anyone got any suggestions of of which ones would be a good choice. just out of interest i timed myself over a hilly ten miles yesterday for first time at 42 min. how much quicker do i have to get so that i don't embarrass myself next spring?

42 minutes for 10 miles is about 7 miles per hour..... I presume it is very hilly as that is not that fast. Without knowing the route though it is impossible for anyone on here to judge you so don't take any comments too much to heart. As far as the tires go I am a bit of a newbie myself so will be unable to help on that one.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • in the cotswolds about 70% uphill and 30%flat
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    If it was 7 MPH then 10 miles would take abot 90 mins, so its probably closer to 15MPH, probably not to bad over a hilly route if its your 1st time out, but i know f all
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    42 minutes for 10 miles is about 7 miles per hour..... I

Err... no! It's between 14 and 15 miles an hour actually.

Edited to add - Noclue got there first! :D
    If it was 7 MPH then 10 miles would take abot 90 mins, so its probably closer to 15MPH, probably not to bad over a hilly route if its your 1st time out, but i know f all

Had a bit of a brain fart there! I looked at it several times and it looked right but I can see the error of my ways now....I've got a chemistry degree but it seems that I can't count for Sh*t...:)
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    There's a regular 10Mile TT round my way, and after chatting to them, it seemed that breaking the 30 min barrier ie 20mph ave was a reasonable starting point. Needless to say i still have not joined them as i did have a couple of goes on their route and the best i could manage was an average of 19.4 mph :oops:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.