Best places to ride in north wales

lee170
lee170 Posts: 236
edited December 2008 in MTB rides
Hi,
I am going to north wales for my 30th birthday, Will only have one day to ride as the wife and kids are in tow, I have been looking at coed y brenin. Is this the best choice or is there others that are better. Prefer man made, Dont want to get lost as time is not on my side.

Thanks

Lee
2015 orange crush
2015 cannondale super six evo

Comments

• Loads of places to go in North Wales mate, depends where abouts you're going to be based.

Have a look here for starters -

www.mbnw.co.uk
    It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Llandegla is excellent. About 10 minutes from Wrexham.

http://www.coedllandegla.com/
  • lee170
    Loads of places to go in North Wales mate, depends where abouts you're going to be based.

Have a look here for starters -

www.mbnw.co.uk

I am going to be based in Deganwy but will have car and dont mind travelling to the best trail
    2015 orange crush
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Visit www.mbwales.com - all the info that you need for Welsh trail centres.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • done coed y brenin tis great,but from your stated needs id try penmachno or marin.allow 2 hrs plus for either.if there is more time you can combine them both.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Hi Lee,

It really depends what type of riding you are into.

Llandegla - fast flowing with quite a few jumps. No rocky technical sections just fast fun! Easily the easiest trail, both technically and physically. Great place to ride in bad weather as most of the trail is in the forest. Cafe and bike shop (closed on Mondays though)

Marin - some varied bits of singletrack with nothing too technical. Lots and lots of fireroad but the last downhill singletrack is amazing! Unless its a beautiful day would probably give this one a miss as it can be a bit boring. If it is sunny its a very pleasant place to ride with some nice scenery. No trail centre.

Penmachno - lots of fast flowing singletrack with a few technical bits thrown in. Plenty of opportunity for air time if you ride it fast enough but not much margin for error as the singletrack is pretty narrow. There are 2 loops which can be combined to make a longer ride. No trail centre.

CYB - easily the most technically challenging. Steer clear if you don't like rocks and drop offs! Not many jumps though :( Lots of choice of trails - would recommend either the MBR or Dragons back or even the Beast if you're hard enough. :lol: Cafe and bike shop.

The Marin and Penmachno are fairly close to where you are staying but Llandegla and CYB are going to be a bit of a drive for you.

CYB is an awesome place but in my opinion Penmachno is the best trail in North Wales (especially if you combine Loops 1 and 2 ). If you decide to tackle it, would advise getting hold of a trail map and make sure you know where the trail head is before you drive there as its not signposted at all. Oh I think its closed on Nov 1st for a Motor Rally or something.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Stu
  • lee170
    thanks for the help.
    Stu-thanks for the very detailed info. Will be riding on the 30th nov, What time/mileage am i looking at from where i am staying.

Thanks

Lee
    2015 orange crush
  • Stu 74
    Marin about 20 miles, 35 minutes
    Penmachno about 25 miles, 45 minutes.
    Llandegla about 40 miles, 1 hour.
    CYB about 50 miles, 1 hour 15 minutes.

Times are only estimates and will vary subject to temporary traffic lights, tractors etc :)

Stu
  • lee170
    Thanks stu
    2015 orange crush
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Also worth working out what the wife & bin lids are going to do. If they are coming with you they will need a centre & probably somewhere to walk.
  • lee170
    Sorted that one mathew, Got a hotel with a pool to keep them from being bored with me.

What is the best suitable tyre for coed y brenin, Does it drain well or clog up?
    Currently running pana' fire xc pro, Am i best to get a mud specific tyre?
    2015 orange crush
  • Stu 74
    CYB drains really well, no boggy sections that I can ever recall.

Stu
  • lee170
    Stu,
    Thanks very much for the all the info Ended up doing penmachno, What a trail absolutely amazing, I had a grin from start to finish, 1st class

Thanks

Lee
    2015 orange crush
  • lee170
    Stu,
    Thanks very much for the all the info Ended up doing penmachno, What a trail absolutely amazing, I had a grin from start to finish, 1st class

Thanks

Lee
    2015 orange crush
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    If you re in Deganwy - Penmachno and Marin are you re best bets being about 20 mins away! (I live very near there)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stu 74
    Hi Lee,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Penmachno, it is the best! Did you do loop 2 as well as loop 1?

Stu