Spinning.....Turbo Training

Gothmeister
Gothmeister Posts: 62
edited October 2008 in Health, fitness & training
What's the difference between Spinning and Turbo Training? Is spinning done on an "Exercise Bike"?

A couple of years ago, before I got into "proper" cycling, I bought a Body Sculpture (!?) BC5350 Magnetic adjustable exercise bike, which has been languishing in the spare room for most of the last two years!!!! I also have an i-Pod!

As I have lots of other things I need to buy to feed my new hobby, I cannot afford to get a Turbo thinggy. On the, hopefully, occasional days that I can't get out on the real thing, would a session on my exercise bike achieve anything? If so, how long should a session last? I tried the other evening, setting the resistance to get me into my required zone, but could only last 20 minutes before my brain exploded. Mind you, that could've been partly due to the inane TV programme I was watching......':lol:'

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    Exercise bike and turbo trainers work on the same principle of varying the resistance in which you cycle along.

Turbo training tends to be used for interval training whilst spinning tends to be for improving the aerobic system for prolonged periods of time.

Turbo trainers are supposed to be extremely boring so get used to it do what everyone else does and just get out and ride :wink:

Getting on the exercise bike if you couldnt get out would help if you did your training program that you intended to do on the bike as it would differ. But if your training route replicates the course which you are to race on nothing will be better than training on that as you would know when to attack and when to recover and know what your body would be going thorugh at that point in the race.

What is your required HR zone? should be below 70% of max heart rate if your doing continous training (more than 20 mins at a set pace) [ if you dont understand this put Max heart rates in on google it should come up]

I hope I havent confused you with all that

This book should help you with your excercise bike/turbo needs as it has alot of info for on the road training/ the type you will be doing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycle-Racing-Ho ... 1844427161

looks like I was paying attention then doing GCSE PE