A squeaky sound

Coriander
Coriander Posts: 1,326
edited October 2008 in The workshop
As the left hand pedal goes through the bottom of the stroke there's a very definite 'eek eek'. It's driving me nuts.

Any ideas why? And what should I do about it? (Ignore is always the favoured option, but the eek, eeking will probably ensure that's not a possiblity this time).

Ta.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sound like some grease is needed to be added to the pedal bearings.

does it shut up if the pedal gets wet?

Also make sure the pedal axle is tight in the crank arm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Errrrmmmmm, thanks Nick. But what are the pedal bearings? And the pedal axle?

Wet??? The wet? It doesn't rain here in London.

And where do I get this grease? At home I could currently use some Clarins night moisturiser, or even an intense hydration mask, Or there is some goose fat in the fridge...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Are, can you live with it until you can let the LBS look at it?

Or are you wanting to get your hands mucky?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Eeek, indeed. Nick is right in the first instance, try and work out if it is the pedal. But these are the kind of things that can drive one nuts:

if it isn't the pedal, it could be the crank

if it isn't the crank working loose, it could be the bottom bracket

and if it isn't the bottom bracket getting old, it could even be the saddle/seat post.

Tighten everything on that side of the bike. If that doesn't work, take it to a bike shop.