Most expensive spare or replacement part

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited October 2008 in The workshop
I know the cost of this item is small but in proportion to it's size its ridiculous, how can they possibly charge £1.50 for this tiny pin.

Park 1501 Bottom Bracket Adjusting Tool Replacement Pins

31036069.jpg
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    itboffin wrote:
    I know the cost of this item is small but in proportion to it's size its ridiculous, how can they possibly charge £1.50 for this tiny pin.

Park 1501 Bottom Bracket Adjusting Tool Replacement Pins

31036069.jpg

I don't know what you are on about. Its a work of art.

How about the cost of a new freehub, compared to the entire hub? Yup, about the same. W&nkers.

Chains are a complete rip off as well.

Mind you, I recently dropped £500 on a set of wheels that I hardly use, so its all relative.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I was pleasantly surprised when I bought a chain, recently:

KMC Z610HX £7.99 inc postage.

...and that's the most expensive of the options- the standard "rustbuster" one comes in at under a fiver.

I think the problem is the move to more gears and ever higher tech. If you can avoid the marketing hype and stay away from the bleeding edge (which requires some work- a certain component manufacturer wants you to "upgrade" every year or two) then prices and durability are better optimised for commuting.

Cheers,
    W.