Bike for training and tri's

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
A friend of mine is looking at getting a new bike, she sold her last bike a few months ago but wants a new one now. Shes really into triathlon so thats mainly what the bike will be used for, that and training rides.

I'm thinking shes better off with a normal road bike and then attaching tri bars to it, is this a pretty good compromise or is it better to have a full on TT bike?

Shes been looking at Bianchi and Cube, both good brands but hard to find stockists for, anyone know of a stockist of either in or around York?

Any other advice would be appreciated!
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Does she have another road bike already? (I note that you say she sold her last bike)

If she doesn't have another road bike, then I wouldn't recommend getting a tri/TT bike. There not the most suitable bikes for going out on long training rides often.

If she's already got another road bike then she could use that for long rides, and keep the TT bike for specific training and races.

The other factor could be the distance she races, or the type of race. Some people prefer not to race the longer IM distance tris on TT bikes. And most would avoid doing a race like Alpe d'Huez long distance tri on a TT bike!
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    It'll all be shorter distance tri's. Maximum kind of distances she's competing at will be 25 miles of cycling. She doesn't have another bike so I'm thinking road bikes more sustanable.
    As it's going to be more for racing is it worth her getting a size smaller than usual so that the top tube is a bit shorter to allow her to get into TT position?
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson