Winter.....probably covered countless times

STEFANOS4784
STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, thought i'd post this for 2 reasons, firstly i have a day off tomorrow so it will be nice to have something to read/spend my money on when i'm back on Wednesday,
secondly i was guna post it in commuting but there seems to be some sort of civil war breaking out.....
Any-hoo not been that into riding for long maybe just a few months but after thinking i was set up for winter, then cycling the 10 hilly miles home this evening in the p1ssing rain i realised that i need to cut my food/beer/everything budget in order to get some bike stuff, what glasses/other device is recommended cos the rain feels like needles in my face down the hills and it's hard to see, also my hands went numb as i don't use gloves and it's not ideal, also what other essentials?(i thought would be ok with bib tights and long sleeved jersey)

Many thanks and kind regards to all :)

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You certainly want something for the extremities when it gets cold (feet, hands & head), I usually wear something like merino socks + waterproof overshoes, decent waterproof insulated gloves (have SealSkinz and Spesh Sub-Zeros), and a SealSkinz skull cap (although I also have a balaclava on order for when it gets bitterly cold :p ).

For your upper body for me a couple of high quality layers is the way to go (merino base layer + windproof jacket like a Gore Phantom or Altura Night Vision and then if needed either another windproof top or a waterproof.

For your legs just bib tights should be fine although you might want some with extra insulation or water-resistance around the knees on cold/wet days.

Trouble is all the above costs a fortune :p For a 10 mile commute I'd get overshoes, gloves and a waterproof jacket first and go from there.

Oh for glasses I just use cheap interchangable ones from Wiggle (use something with a clear or yellow lens).
  • s.ammo
    s.ammo Posts: 16
    couldnt agree more. gloves, baselayers, jacket and decent socks. At the mo I still ride in shorts (I ride mountains but still commute) and it was cold on t'shins today. will be ordering some 3/4 spandex pantyhose today to address that.

but like nferrar said - there shouldnt be any reason why you cant wake up on a morning -look out the window - see the glorious howling rainstorm that is the usual english weather, and simply go bang bang bang - all your clobber on- get out and really not be that uncomfortable.

remember there's no such thing as bad weather just bad equipment. :twisted:
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_U ... 360036389/
    there the glasses i use, there good at keeping rain out of your eyes and you will need glasses if it snows at all
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    Try a peaked cycling cap for riding in rain. They're closer fitting than a baseball cap and the peak comes down over the eyebrows. They fit easily under helmets and when riding keep the rain and spray from going into your eyes. I bought one of these as it was the only one that LBS had but there are loads available on internet.

www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode. ... 658c003659
    Giant Anthem X3 2013