• felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    ok.. see you there in a bit :)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Nice to meet you guys. Shame I couldn't have stuck around for longer :oops: but it was better to find out what the Chuckle Brothers at Fenchurch Street Evans had done to my wheel early on than discover it somewhere out in deepest Surrey. The lad in Kingston Evans wasn't impressed with it either :roll:

It does however mean I have suffered 3 punctures in less than 20 miles, on 3 different bikes. I bet the Dynamo have been sticking pins into a wax doll :twisted:

How did you get on?
  • felgen
    Sorry you had such awful luck with that rim Gavin. It was a good ride in the end even if we made a slight error which resulted in a bit more climbing. I will post up later where we went, quite a long way but I have to edit the file to fix bad data points from my GPS - with the ride to the park and back, it came to just under 70 miles for me all-in!

Was great to see some new faces - Mike and Al are both good riders and made me blow hard a couple of times! especially on Box Hill 7 mins 40 seconds- not bad after Ranmore and Leith Hill. Thanks Mike for spending some time on the front and doing some leading, which allowed Wilf to skulk at the back ;) Thanks to Wilf for wearing something slightly less um... psychedelic.

Onwards and upwards - I will start a thread about next weekends ride shortly!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • It was definitely a good ride and nice to have some company for a change. I am slightly stiff today but then I guess that is to be expected having not ridden for 2 weeks. Hopefully with a few more miles in the legs I will be able to keep pace on Boxhill, which is normally considerably easier than yesterday.
    not bad after Ranmore and Leith Hill

Unfortunately we didn't get up Ranmore. For what ever reason we missed it out. One for next time for sure. 7 mins 40 up Boxhill is pretty good considering we had done 40 miles or so up to that point. Something to aim at next time.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Good to meet you all - really enjoyable ride especially the Leith Hill descent and Box Hill climb. I should be around next weekend as long as there isn't two foot of snow on the roads.
  • felgen
    Unfortunately we didn't get up Ranmore. For what ever reason we missed it out. One for next time for sure. 7 mins 40 up Boxhill is pretty good considering we had done 40 miles or so up to that point. Something to aim at next time.

Um, I must be mixed up then :? What's that 13 percenter that we had just climbed when we met back up with you then Mike?! On the map its called Crocknorth Road.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    Good work guys, sounds like it was a good one! Now I'm even more annoyed I missed it! :evil:

Roll on mid November...
  • felgen wrote:
    Um, I must be mixed up then :? What's that 13 percenter that we had just climbed when we met back up with you then Mike?! On the map its called Crocknorth Road.

That is a different hill altogether. At the other end of that road, the way you were heading, is what is generally known as Ranmore Hill. You guys will have gone left and continued on Ranmore common rd at the Church. Approx another 100m the road(now Ranmore Rd) descends into Dorking. According to Bikely it is 512ft up in 1.5 miles, not far off Boxhill figures. In my experience it is more of a grind as it has a couple of kicks to it. Try it out next time you guys head out. WIlf's GPS should be able to find it for you.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • I'm good for next Saturday, as my Sunday is going to be be eaten by stewarding on the Future/Bikeradar try-a-bike thing at Hillingdon.

Hopefully I can rustle up a fully functioning bike by next week (my brake blocks dissolved today :oops: )
  • felgen
    Regrettably I am on call this weekend, so no ride for me unfortunately. However I will start another thread for any of you keen types who want to go out for a ride.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Thanks guys, was a great days riding and along with the company there was some superb country roads around leith hill to enjoy, especially this time of year.

Well apologies on three fronts lads -

- the first for having to answer the phone regularly,
    - the second for getting us a bit lost (again - refer below)
    - the third for being embarrasingly slow on the climbs :oops:

It wasn't down to fatigue or general fitness, for some reason I just didn't have it in the legs by the time I got to Box Hill.

For mind the worst climb of the day was the first climb which we didn't need to take (called Stony Hill) seemed to just go on for ever, and trying to keep up with Al (who chewed up and spat out the hills) was a real grind :wink:

But every cloud has a silver lining, and for me, it means that if I keep at it I'll only get fitter and stronger, and I know where I should be at.

Thanks to James for pushing me aswell when I needed it.

As for my Garmin, not sure what the hell is going on, but suffice to say I've patched my unit with the latest software release on Sunday. Apart from having a temporary spasm part way through the course - after rebooting it it stopped again after 95km, but to make matters worse, get home and have no ride history whatsoever to download. :evil:

I did however re-map my ride, and from door to door it came to 127km (77miles). Regardless of my lame box hill effort I'm just happy I got home before it was dark considering its my 3rd ride (2nd long) in about 4 months.

I'm keen for another ride weather permitting.
    felgen wrote:
    Thanks to Wilf for wearing something slightly less um... psychedelic.
    Your welcome 8)

The long grazed legged one
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:
    ....apologies......
    - the first for having to answer the phone regularly,
    Get a personal assistant to take calls. Female. One who likes cycling and is good at it. V Pendleton will do ;)
    - the second for getting us a bit lost (again - refer below)
    Well we are getting the route pretty much down now - so less reliance on technology means less stopping...
    - the third for being embarrasingly slow on the climbs.....For me mind the worst climb of the day was the first climb which we didn't need to take (called Stony Hill) seemed to just go on for ever, and trying to keep up with Al (who chewed up and spat out the hills) was a real grind :wink:
    Yeah Al did munch them hills but the is the quickest 3 lapper amongst us! I have to say I actually quite liked that detour and think we should include it regularly as it was very up and down - nice little intervals :D then of course you have that nice descent to the other climb at Crocknorth Road was pretty good fun (though Still not as good as the descent into Dorking)...
    Thanks to James for pushing me as well when I needed it.
    No worries. If the truth be known I was feeling it a more than a little through the ride with the legs just not feeling right, they were even worse on Sunday - thank god it rained and I backed out or I might have gone out again and made things worse!!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB