Why Didn't I Realise Sooner?!...

stephenballantyne
stephenballantyne Posts: 97
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
The tyres that came fitted to my bike (Hutchinson Flash something or others) ripped pretty dramatically last week, prompting me to begin the search for my first ever set of new tyres (I'm still new to all this :oops: ).

I badly wanted some Michelin Krylion Carbons, but alas, they are not to be had for love nor money ('til next month it seems anyway). I went for Michelin Pro Race 3s in the end and was fairly confused when I unpackaged them.

Here's me assuming that all tyres are like the ones I had just removed (i.e. rigged, thick and weighing in at the best part of 500g each). What I unwrapped was a perilously thin, light, bendy piece of rubbery plasticy stuff. So I fitted them without too much bother and climbed aboard.

Well blow me it's like having a new bleedin' bike. It's noticably lighter, more responsive, faster to accelerate and handles better. I can't believe I've been trudging around on the old ones for 5 months when I could have been zipping along at light speed on these babies.

Oh well, you live and learn...

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Pro Race 3 are indeed a very good rolling tyre (and great on corners too) however there are issues with their puncture resistance. They seem to cut much worse than their predecessor in this respect. Wouldn't use them myself at night it do any any after dark riding otherwise a brilliant tyre.

Had the same revelation when I went for 3 years on Spesh Armadillos only to discover Michelin Pro2 Race. They made such a huge difference I doubt I will ever use the Armadillos again. Felt cheated for years.
  • I've got Conti Ultra Sports that came on my Boardman Comp, how do these compare? Not taken them off yet, as I haven't had a visit from the P******e Fairy yet! :fingers crossed:
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Winter conti gatorskins then summer onto GP4000's. Very very different int erms of what they can do. I do rather like the gatorskins though, they corner well and roll rather well.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson