Spinning Classes

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited December 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I can't get out on the bike as often as i would like due to not having a car to go places, and not having any decent lights to go out on the roads later on( but i'm not sure i'd want to in the dark round here..we have the worlds only blind drivers)
So i'm thinking of joining spinning/indoor cycling classes at my local Gym.
Will this build up my stamina and muscle for out on the bike or are they really just a cardio work out?
Many Thanks, Caz xxxxx

Comments

• KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    I think you may maintain your fitness but not your well-being. Only losers go to the gym, in my personal opinion.

Excluding my wife & kids, lights (at this time of year) are the only reason I go to work happy. Because I have the option to morning/night ride.

Are there any bike tracks or trails near you, or just road?

EDIT: Get some decent lights.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Caz

You can change the tension on the bike, so you can make it as easy or as difficult as you like.

Spinning classes can be very good, I do one every week, and it has help with fitness, and the ability to spin faster (though this can be gained via a bike as well). It will also help with climbing ability as well, though the classes are dependant on the skill of the person taking the class.

Going to the gym is not a problem, lots of us do it, due to family commitments/situations, and you can cross train at a gym, which you can't do by just riding all the time, cross training is very good for the body as a whole.
  • I go to spinning class once or twice a week, during winter. Open to debate whether that makes me a loser !

But, it fits well with family commitments and maintains a certain level of fitness, though not to the extent of being out on the bike. The key is that you get out of it what you put into it. You can make it as easy or as hard as you like. In the class that I use we have every ability, from experienced cyclists to 'seniors' who have never been on 2 wheels in their lives.

Agree that alot is dependent on the person taking the class.

I certainly get more out of the spin class than sitting in the garage on a turbo. But forgot - I'm a loser !
  • Thanks peeps,
    I don't care if i'm a loser..if it means i don't have to conted with the blind drivers out here just to get out on the bike at night! i'd rather be a looser than loose me life :lol:
    I'll go and have a word with they local gym and see how much each class is going to cost me.
    Thanks for all the advise peeps,
    Caz xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i used to do spin class once a week before i got into mtbing, i tend to do most my fitness work on my mtb, running or on an Xtrainer (i do cv 3-4 times aweek along with weights and go hard at it-im bit of a gym nut) i recently did a spin class and it felt so easy, maybe i didnt push hard enough. but i think true mtbing is much better for fitness and far more enjoyable than any spin class.
    but if you get into a rythum of going to gym after work its a lot easier than finding the motivation to put lights on the bike and go out riding in the cold dark conditions

as for "only losers go to the gym" - what an ignorant closed minded thing to say!
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • I always hated spinning classes with a vengence, personally I'd go do a high intesnsity rowing session if you want to build cardiovascular fitness and muscular endurance.

You'll have to go try it to decide if its for you. But don't limit yourself to spinning because its cycling based; if you dont enjoy it theres a whole world of exercise out there that can be adapted to improve your cycling, of course if you can locate a suitable off road trail near you (even if its largely flat, on bridleways and the like) that and some good lights is probably an even better solution.
  • rhyko7 wrote:
    as for "only losers go to the gym" - what an ignorant closed minded thing to say!

+1 For some people, its the easiest way to keep a good level of fitness.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    I have to use the turbo in the garage, as I would get too distracted in the gym by women in lycra.

Also I can stare at my bikes & car and plan up upgrades!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I love riding at night - with my kick ass lights - but some nights are just too foul to go out.

With a spin class - if you have a good teacher - you get a really intensive 45 min work out - but you only get out of it what you put in. When I teach you can tell who will come back and who really just doesnt like exercise and will never return again.

Rowing is good too - but spinning will always have the edge for specific cycling training.

(as for the losers comment - all the GB cycling team use gymwork as part of their training - so thank god you're not a coach !)
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I both ride and go to spinning classes all year - for me it works out best time-wise. I only really ride once, maybe twice a week and it takes up a whole evening or 1/2 a day, whereas a spin class is only 45 mins... I also find that if I ALWAYS do at least one spin class a week it maintains my fitness, so if I can't ride due for whatever reason it stops me getting too fabby!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • i have found 45min spin classes a great way of working to a intensate which takes me passed my HR i would find amost imposable on the road even on power climbing you just need the motivation to take to max and not worry about how you look to some of the other gym posers who think you are going to pass out