Best areas within an hour drive of Newcastle?

scoobasteve
scoobasteve Posts: 58
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
Hi All,

Just got a nice new mountain bike and looking for some decent places to go around the Newcastle area, back in my day it was mostly Rothbury we used to head out too but just wondering whats out there now that people can recommend? Don't want anything too hardcore at the moment, might head up to kielder at the weekend to get back in the saddle a bit and brush up on the skills!

Any advice much appreciated!

Steve
GT Aggressor XCR

Comments

• Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    I would have thought Kielder Forest would be a good starting point. There must be some good stuff up there and may be out towards Hexham/Haltwistle
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Yecomb
    Yecomb Posts: 26
    Kielder's got a few routes. There's occasionally competitions there so decent quality.

My favourites are south of Hexham. Only 30 mins from Newcastle but you can park in Whitely Chapel area and there are 4 routes over the Pennine moors to Allendale to choose from for a circuit. 2 good pubs in Allendale market place for refreshment before the hill going back.

Another good one is park in Blanchland and cycle in a circular route past Pennypie House to Slaley forest and there are a couple of options back round to Blanchland. Again over the moors. Great singletrack, but can be boggy and windy at times.

If you can manage the hill up, there's a great singletrack south of Blanchland down the ridge to Edmundbyers.

Also try Hamsterley Forest. Different graded routes there and a scary looking downhill.

Nearer to Newcastle is Chopwell Woods. Not as long but good for a blast.

Hope that helps.
  • Jumanji
    Jumanji Posts: 25
    Glentress is 90 miles from Newcastle, it's most certainly worth the journey.
  • Cheers folks, will definitely be heading round all the 7stanes parks next year but they are a bit of a hike, looking for the places I can get to for a regular jaunt, will defo look into those around Hexham area and think I'll get up to Kielder a few times first as well.
    GT Aggressor XCR
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    If you are south of Newcastle dalby may not be too far
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Yeah, Dalby's probably not much more than an hour away from the Toon. Plus there's the Jedforest Trails based around Jedburgh and Kelso.

And you've got the whole of the North Yorkshire Moors to go at - some tremendous riding to had around Rosedale Abbey and then there's the old classic Hexhamshire Common run.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    Google kielder trail reavers - decent red and black areas - man made trails - pretty good.

Thrunton woods nr Rothbury - ive never found all of the secret natural trails people talk about but its ok.

Chopwell - 1 manmade red/black trail but lots of other natural trails - helps if you go with someone who has been before though - my first visit i was disapointed - seciond visit with someone who knows where to go it wasnt too bad

Cheviots - get a map

I also found a site for newcastle mtb club who do some local rides and the odd venture further afield - pm me and i will give you the link i found.

Hamsterley - never been - mate didnt like it

Dalby - about 1.5 - 2 hrs from newcastle - I was there last friday and it was excellent - really enjoyed it.
  • Thanks all and keep them coming, I'll defo be getting out and trying out a few of the recommendations.
    GT Aggressor XCR
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Whatever you do, don't go here and look in the rides section....
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Scooba, have a look here, they have some great routes, some great people who know what they're talking about and a great atmosphere on their rides, very friendly and all that.

All based on or near the North York Moors

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/

:wink:
  • You could do a lot worse that buying Derek Purdy's two guides to mountain biking in Northumberland and Durham. The Northumberland Guide has recently been re-published in a new edition. You will find many routes within an hour from Newcastle. There are some great routes in the Hexhamshire/Allendale/Blanchland area.

The red route at Kielder is excellent (though quite technical) and Hamsterley is a good bet as well. You could find a lot to keep you going without going out of Northumberland or Durham but if you want to go a bit further afield there is some great riding in the North Pennines area and in Swaledale.