Advice - Double fixed hub, can I change one side to s/s?

Paps
Paps Posts: 114
edited October 2008 in Road general
Hello,

A mate just recently bought a bike with a double fixed hub. I'm not sure what the hub is but is it possible to change one side of the sprockets to single speed?

Any advice appreciated

Many thanks
Take a painkiller, cycle on your bicycle and leave all this misery behind
Be kind to your knees, you\'ll miss them when they\'re gone.

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    yes you just thread it on
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    yes to what pete said.
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    That's good to know. Why bother to machine a flipflop hub? Double fixed is surely a more versatile option?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    GaryGkn wrote:
    That's good to know. Why bother to machine a flipflop hub? Double fixed is surely a more versatile option?

Not necessarily. Can also put a fixed on a single free! AND a free side will take a multi cog block. Not much in it really. I'd rather run a fixed on a "normal" (non-fixed-specific) screw on than vice versa. Fixed/gear (free) also of course more traditional from the days when a 4/5 speed block for summer and a fixed for winter.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    you can put a fixed on a single freehub but it would come off if you put any back pressure (and you would) on the pedals.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I (and I bekieve lots of others) have ridden '000s of miles with fixed on old 5 speed screw on hubs - with and without b/b lockrings. Ain't never lost one yet! And plenty of folk use the fixed "side" without a lockring.

I don't doubt that those stronger and with a more aggressive riding style COULD move one - at least until it's been on there a few weeks, but it's not inevitable!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."