disc brakes for tricross?

riklydon
riklydon Posts: 12
edited October 2008 in The workshop
Hey all new to this forum just want to pick your brains................I have a specialized tricross I dont have a car (gave it away when I got the bike) so I use it daily and it gets absolutely hammered. Its been a brilliant bike bar the brakes. I tend to cycle v quickly come wind rain or shine weaving through traffic like a loon etc, I live in newcastle so the roads are busy and im always having to mess on with the breaks (as they wear so quick cables stretch etc) to avoid dieing.............So is it possible to fit disc breaks to the bike?...........if so is it worth it ie will I get better more consistent breaking?...........can I use my existing brake levers?............are they relatively easy to fit?..any recomendations on make cost etc?.......................Any advice or tips much apprieciated...........Riklydon. ps if im not replacing brake pads im fixing a puncture I saw a prduct called 'slime' the plastic strip that lines the inner tube, does it do as it says on the tin in your experience?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    first of doeres the frame/ fork have disc mounts?
    are the hubs disc ready?
    Avid Road bb7 brakes work with road brakes.

But a lot depends on if the frame is disc ready and from the pics of the 2009 bike i would say it is not possible.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    I would say its not possible or feasible to change to disk breaks on the tricross. You will prob find the flex in the carbon fact forks causes a problem and the wheels wont hold discs.
    Dont bother with slime, its crap and fiddly. Bets thing you can do is replace the stock tyres (which are admittedly shite) with the armadillo version. I use them and have had zero punctures in over 1500 miles.
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    Also, to avoid dying and increase your chances of your brakes working properly and not wearing out so quick, try not riding fast in and out of heavy traffic like a tosser ;)
  • :lol: ..........................I had a feeling someone would post a reply like that.............You know I've been cycling for 20 odd years commuting on roads to work in cities at rush hour (bar the odd car but i hate traffic jams) I cycle fast as it has ironically always kept me safe (feel free to post sarcastic replys to that comment)...............Seriously though I always keep one step ahead as drivers on the whole they dont give a toss you know that even nice people turn into demented freaks behind the wheel..............Also check out the statistics, the most deaths of cyclists are women (no dont shout its not my fault), I think its cos they are on the whole too passive and sensible, (oh God I can feel the ice cracking beneath me) who are crushed by hgvs and buses at left hand turns........Also it has been proven that drivers give cyclists LESS room when they are kitted out in day glow and hard hats.........Anyway thanks for the advice on slime I wont waste my money but will get tyres u reccomended....................One last thing I often slip stream buses there is one road in this city that is perfect for it, I bust myself to accelarate with them and can get a free lift for a couple of mile at 30mph...................AND I TELL YOU THAT IS ALOT OF FUN!!!!!!! :D