What brakes do you use?

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    im using XTR in the bedding in stage at the mo, so cant realy comment but there seem to bite good and there's no delay feeling compared to my old XT 4 pots.
  • I use Hope MonoMini2's, 183f 160r floating rotors with the braided hoses. Been trouble free for the last year, not had to touch them yet!
    Seem plenty strong enough for me in XC use, especially considering that my last brakes were V's :wink:
    About to find out how easy they are to work on :? As I'm due to be replacing the braided hoses for regular plastic ones. Braided hoses seem (to me?) overkill for XC, and apparently? It'll save me approx80g..
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If they have been trouble free why change them

You are going to spend at least a couple of hours fitting and bleeding your new hoses and you will almost certainly have to re bleed after the first ride.

If you are using the modern Hope braided hose I would be very surprised if you save anything like 80 grams by fitting plastic hose.

There is an old engineering saying "If it aint broke dont fix it"
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    If they have been trouble free why change them

You are going to spend at least a couple of hours fitting and bleeding your new hoses and you will almost certainly have to re bleed after the first ride.

If you are using the modern Hope braided hose I would be very surprised if you save anything like 80 grams by fitting plastic hose.

There is an old engineering saying "If it aint broke dont fix it"
    I'm inclined to agree with you, I've not even bled brakes before :shock:
    The weights I've seen for the two hoses are(?) 0.8g v 3g, per 5cm. And I've got roughly 2metres.
    Good time to learn?.. Just trying to trim as much weight as I can.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Hope mono mini on my 456, v brakes on my ss xc bike (both the old one and the one which is arriving shortly!). No problems with the hopes except I've managed to GT85 the rotor a bit, although it seems to have gone away now!
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Just junked my crappy V's that came on the bike and upgraded to some V7 Hayes Stroker Carbons. Just finished bedding them in. It's actually a struggle keeping the back end on the ground under hard braking now :D
  • go with shimano every time, hit it with a hammer and itl work. larger gaps between the pads and the rotor, and servowave means that they are plenty powerful, nowhere near as prone to breaking as the hayes and hope(less) equivalent.
  • i am running Formula the ones
    i was wondering if you can use them with hope floating rotors
    has anyone done this?
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.