Obsession How much is too much...............

Andyb10
Andyb10 Posts: 126
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
Hi all,
was just sorting out my cycle clothing ready for the onset of winter. Couldn't believe how much clothing I have amassed over the last couple of years.

Shorts, tops, base layers, you name it I seem to have got at least 3 of each (and not cheapo stuff either).

Beginning to think it's becoming an obsession, every time I go on line I see some new item that all of a sudden I desparately need

Anyone else out there suffer from this, and is there such a thing as having too many tops etc?

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Andyb10 wrote:
    Hi all,
    was just sorting out my cycle clothing ready for the onset of winter. Couldn't believe how much clothing I have amassed over the last couple of years.

Shorts, tops, base layers, you name it I seem to have got at least 3 of each (and not cheapo stuff either).

Beginning to think it's becoming an obsession, every time I go on line I see some new item that all of a sudden I desparately need

Anyone else out there suffer from this, and is there such a thing as having too many tops etc?

How are you obsessed if you only have 3 of everything? I've way more than that.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    If three is an obsession then I'm a certifiable, straightjacket wearing nut job. :twisted:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    With the amount of cycle clothing I've got they won't unlock the ward and let me out for a ride! :(
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    When you have as many bikes as Sheldon Brown did, you'd either be obsessed or an expert. Not sure what the difference was, but I'm pretty sure he was the latter.

http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycle.html
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • oxon
    oxon Posts: 35
    and if you run as well........
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Andyb10 wrote:
    Hi all,

Take comfort (no fabric softener puns intended) from the fact that by having more kit to get through in a week rather than only one or two sets to keep clean all the time, you're saving money on soap powder and electricity for the washing machine, though.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Ieuanllan
    Ieuanllan Posts: 152
    I have kit envy now!

Definitely not enough!
  • It is bad luck to enter a bike shop and come out empty handed. :oops:
  • Andyb10
    Andyb10 Posts: 126
    Well when I say 3 I mean
    3 red summer jerseys 3 black ones 3 white ones etc etc, same for shorts and then bibs as well before I get to the team stuff and then that's before I get to the winter stuff.

As you say though I am only thinking of the good lady by reducing the amount of pressure on her to get things clean.

Cheers
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I think it's a throwback to the hunter/gatherer thing :lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Everything in 3s sounds more like OCD than obsession :wink:
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • claash
    claash Posts: 145
    You are obviously all guys!!
    :D
    You should see my collection of gear.........Mostly chosen for the colour coordination possibilities! :wink:

(Never thought of myself as obsessive but now I am beginning to question it!!)
    OOOOPS
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Now I come to think of it, I have at least 4 of everything in summer kit!! But as I ride a lot in the summer, this is just - as I posted before - to give the washing machine the odd day off. Honest. :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a walk-in wardrobe for my cycling clothing -my wife couldn't abide all my stuff all over the place. I still can't get it all in - I have store the summer stuff away over winter and vice versa! I was putting some stuff away earlier - amounts to about at least 5 of everything i.e. tights, windproof jackets, long sleeve tops, baselayers, overshoes, shoes and drawers full of socks, gloves and other stuff!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    If you only had 3 pairs boxers you would have to either

Wash stuff with incomplete loads regularly
    Not go out
    Go Commando for the rest of the week.

3 sets of kit = 3 rides between washes in my book, the only exception being tracksuit trousers and jackets/jerseys (assumign a base layer is worn)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days