Nokia N96 (Sports Tracker)

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited November 2008 in The bottom bracket
I recently got a N96 and uploaded the Sports Tracker software.
Today was my first chance to use it...
Brilliant! :wink:
Mapped my route, uploaded to web, using google maps,graphed everything you could possibly plot (manually added HR), highlighted the fastest :wink: , slowest :oops: , highest & lowest points of the ride.
As I live in Norfolk, I managed a staggering, wait for it.......
90m of altitude!!....Reckon I'm ready for the etape, now. :wink:
Handy piece of free kit, though.(phone was free upgrade).
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Jealousy... I have to wait about 4 months before I can get my hands on an N96...
  • hopper1
    Worth the wait, IMO.
    I read that the battery life was poor when using the GPS (5 hours), but having been out for almost 4 hours, I still had a full battery showing!
    Only downside with Sports Tracker, is having to keep the phone open to get a good signal.
    But, seems far more useful than my old Blackberry Pearl. :wink:
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have a N95 8GB and can get a good signal for 4 hours plus with the phone closed and in one of my back pockets with sportstracker. Need the phone open for TomTom though.
  • hopper1
    I'll try it closed next time. :wink:
    I don't have Tom Tom.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Could I keep this phone in my saddle bag tracking the route and any stats? Or does it lose GPS signal easily?

Should it be kept on my handlebar, or in my back pocket to get a signal?..... just a little bit worried about it getting wet from rain or sweat (in the summer!).
  • SpinyUK
    SpinyUK Posts: 19
    Hammerite - if you're worried about water I can recommend the Aquapac cases. Very good.

fwiw I've used my 6220 Classic in my pack, rear pocket and chest pocket and it's tracked OK.
    Cheers :)

Spiny
    FCN 4
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    cool thanks for that Spiny.

I suppose the other reason for wanting it in my saddle pack is just in case I fall off (not something I make a habit of). If it's under my saddle it's a bit safer than it smashing off the bars, or me landing on it!

I haven't got one of these phones yet, but I've had a battered 6210 as my work phone for a couple of years now, and have been enquiring about a replacement.

Do you know what other Nokia phones you can put the sport tracker software on? edit - found this now http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/download.do
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I just wrap in a plastic food bag and shove it in one of my jersey pockets, keeps enough of the moisture off.
  • Does anyone know which model of nokia phone is the cheapest to take the sports tracker software? Also when using the sports tracker function, does it cost anything? - is it the price of a call?
    Many thanks
  • hopper1
    Not sure which phone would be the cheapest. You might get a good deal on the N82 at the moment, if you can find one, as they've been replaced by a new model!
    Are you looking to buy the phone, without contract?
    Sports Tracker costs nothing to download, or use, you do need the GPS, though.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I do the same as bezza - my phones have survived years of cycling in simple plastic sandwich bags- the other bags are too bulky and pricey too. Sports tracker works well but you do need a good battery.
  • rgarner
    rgarner Posts: 77
    jonathan2 wrote:
    Does anyone know which model of nokia phone is the cheapest to take the sports tracker software? Also when using the sports tracker function, does it cost anything? - is it the price of a call?
    Many thanks
    I've got the N78, newish (slightly annoying keypad though) and has a GPS. Sports Tracker costs nothing to run. I'm using ViewRanger now - does everything Sports Tracker does but has OS maps. Sports Tracker's a cracking piece of software though, especially things like exporting your routes to Google Earth.
  • The N96 GPS reciver is a lot more powerfull than the N95, even with AGPS off. It works in the closed position just aswell.
  • cougie
    My N9 works closed, in my back pocket - wprls better for running I guess cos my speed is slower so it samples more - when I'm cycling - it cuts corners off.
  • hopper1
    After trying mine closed, I am happy to say it still works!
    I leave it in my back pocket, in a food bag, no problems.
    I switch it on about 5 mins before going out, not had any problems with cutting corners, excellent piece of kit. :wink:
    Just waiting for Nokia to release the Power meter accessory, now... :roll:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    hopper1 wrote:
    Just waiting for Nokia to release the Power meter accessory, now... :roll:
    Why wait? Wireless Powertaps transmit at 2.4GHz. The main use of the 2.4GHz frequency in Europe is Bluetooth... See where I'm coming from? ;)

You'll have to code something a bit special for it, but how hard could that be?
  • cougie
    Hmmm- I struggle to dial numbers - so I'll leave the coding to someone else....
  • hopper1
    I'm with you, cougie!!! :oops:
  • jonathan2 wrote:
    Does anyone know which model of nokia phone is the cheapest to take the sports tracker software? Also when using the sports tracker function, does it cost anything? - is it the price of a call?
    Many thanks

Not sure but check the sportstracker site for compatible phones.

There's two ways sportstracker can cost you money:

1. Using A-GPS. The phone downloads the locations of the satellites for the network cell you are in to speed things up. This uses a small amount of your data connection.

2. Uploading the routes to the sportstracker site. This can only be done from the phone and again uses data transmission. You can export the workouts as gps data files, transfer them to your PC (kml etc) and upload to something like mapmyride.com though.

There's also a feature called live tracking where the phone will continually upload data to the site so people can follow your route in real time.

All of this would be inclusive if you had a data plan though afaik.