Paint scrapes and chips

ChillMTB
ChillMTB Posts: 7
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
I have had my spesh rockhopper 2 days now and have been out alot in it on various trails. Only problem is I have a chip in the paint about 1cm long and seems deep down to the aluminum. Is there anything I can do about it or is it just part of owning a MTB as its inevitable that they will get chipped and scracthed?

Thanks

Comments

• Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    It's part of it i'm afraid, i gave up caring after a few months, if the chip bothers you that much you could use a car touch up paint similar in colour.
  • rd350lc
    rd350lc Posts: 84
    Yep its all part of it,
    I have just been looking at my bike (Cube Reaction) which i have had for 6 months now and its looking battered....loads of marks on the frame and forks but i think it looks cool,almost how its supposed to look!!.
  • If you have a Partco near you, get them to match some paint to your frame for touch ups. You'll need to take the bike to them.

Marvin
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • 5Thumbs
    5Thumbs Posts: 88
    As said above, knocks and dings are inevitable.

That being said, I occasionally touch up the paintwork on my bike maybe once a year. If you take your bike to Halfords you should be able to find a decent match amongst the range of car sprays they have (or touch up kits).

I usually rub down the chipped area with some wet n dry 1200 grade sandpaper, spray it (or use touch up brush) and rub it down again with 1200 when its dry. This 'flattens' the new paint to blend it in with the old and will give it a matt finish temporarily but dont worry. Leave it a week for the paint to harden properly then Tcut it to bring back the shine - job done!

Might add that most of the time I dont bother as the marks are too small toworry about...
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    from a distance mine still looks mint, but get up close and it looks sand blasted in some areas which i just think of as battle scars. after all they're mountain bikes.