Fixed How Do I ride It?

2»

Comments

• BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Actually, you are both wrong. REAL men generate so much power that the friction causes bikes to ignite. Then they ride the flames...

Ahahahahahahaha :twisted:
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • "psuedo fixed wheel riders who have not got the boll*cks to ride fixed"

What an idiot.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    On a more realistic note than my last post: when it comes to pure speed I imagine the fastest times have been set on the track when explosive speed is the measure of the day, and track bikes are fixed. Fixed gears are often used specifically for time trials and hill climbs (I don't know what would make you think you can't climb hills with a fixed gear?), and the famed and feared hour record is made on a fixed gear.

There are definite advantages to having a choice of gears and a freewheel - more so during an endurance ride in very variable conditions as it allows you to rest using the freewheel; and a person who's used to gears may not be able to ride as fast while adjusting to a fixed gear, but once you have adjusted (and it doesn't take long) and you are capable of spinning faster than you could before and putting out more power than you could before there is NO problem keeping up with geared bikes. Quite the opposite in my experience - apart from possibly on the long steep descents in good conditions with good visibility. It's well worth trying fixed for yourself and seeing whether you enjoy it. I definitely do.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Glad to see there are enuff fish in the sea willing to bite!

Bored winding folk up and of this thread now. In fact i am bored of the whole forum so don't think I'll be posting much on here in future.
  • Bye. :D
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    PMKirky wrote:
    Glad to see there are enuff fish in the sea willing to bite!

Bored winding folk up and of this thread now. In fact i am bored of the whole forum so don't think I'll be posting much on here in future.

No great loss.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Don't forget to keep pedalling whatever happens !
  • Nothing wrong with what is happening and your reaction to it. If you are happy with your gearing for your terrain stay with it. Find the speed you are comfortable to spin to and then apply the brakes above it, I say brakes, because I have found by a hard fall that going down steep hills needs two brakes to control the descent speed, especially if there is a tight bend during the descent. Even on not so steep hills I avoid applying back pressure to the pedals, after all why tire your legs doing that, you need your leg strength to drive you forward.