Slightly bizarre video

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0kaaQ0zuHvo

Mind you, atleast they're trying to exercise.. some 'round here, mind... :wink:

(tip: dont bother watching all the way through - first 20 seconds is enough)

Comments

• the size of his jersy suggests he didnt put all that chub on because of his knee injury.
    couldnt help chuckling slightly, should i feel bad :lol:
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    At least he's attempting some form of exercise,poor bugger, the other sad thing is... he's probably going to get some harsh comments from youtubers, we all know what youtube is like for the nasty comment brigade.
  • downfader
    Is it a he? :shock: :oops:
  • Paul Sh
    Well he/she does have big tits, must be a shim.
  • I actually went and posted a positive comment... people dare I say "like this" need all the encouragment they can get... :)
  • Paul Sh
    I actually went and posted a positive comment... people dare I say "like this" need all the encouragment they can get... :)

Everyone on this forum should post a good comment, i'll do mine now.
  • downfader
    Just left a positive comment too. :)
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    jimycooper wrote:
    the size of his jersy suggests he didnt put all that chub on because of his knee injury.
    Should you feel bad? No but you should be ashamed of making such puerile comments.
    First of all, that 'he' is a 'she' and. if I may add, a quite famous and very well respected member of the cycling community. I've never met her and only know her from the internet.
    If you are one of the people who think that weight is purely dependent on 'calories in - calories out', then explain to me what part BMR plays in our lives and why do you see photos of starving children who are pot-bellied. Do you think they have been eating too much junk food?
    I hope that you and others who have posted on this thread that when you get older and the weight piles on that others will be as unkind to you.
  • Paul Sh
    Well it is hard to tell if it's he/she, anyway, hope you left a nice comment.
  • the ferry
    the ferry Posts: 258
    .........i'm on this site most days and would have felt ashamed if this was full of sarcastic nasty comments about the clip.
    Well done guys for keeping it positive.
  • downfader
    mr_hippo wrote:
    jimycooper wrote:
    the size of his jersy suggests he didnt put all that chub on because of his knee injury.
    Should you feel bad? No but you should be ashamed of making such puerile comments.
    First of all, that 'he' is a 'she' and. if I may add, a quite famous and very well respected member of the cycling community. I've never met her and only know her from the internet.
    If you are one of the people who think that weight is purely dependent on 'calories in - calories out', then explain to me what part BMR plays in our lives and why do you see photos of starving children who are pot-bellied. Do you think they have been eating too much junk food?
    I hope that you and others who have posted on this thread that when you get older and the weight piles on that others will be as unkind to you.

Hmmm potbellied kids comment... You do realise they get that from gasses building up in the gut, dont you? The lady in question is overweight (and is obviously working hard to deal with it 8) ) and is in a slightly different position.

Incidentally I read you can become obese from taking amphetamines and steroids - something some pros have been guilty of in the past i'd imagine. Messes up your body big time.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why post a film like that at all though ? Whats the point ?
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    downfader wrote:
    Hmmm potbellied kids comment... You do realise they get that from gasses building up in the gut, dont you?
    Are you sure? If this were true then all they need is either a good burp or a fart, isn't it?
    When food is short, the body goes into starvation mode, the BMR slows down and reserves of fat are stored. The points that I was trying to make is not everyone with a pot belly is a glutton and not everyone who is fat is a trencherman!
    cougie wrote:
    If you knew anything about her you would not ask that question. Talking about posting videos - why do cyclists post videos pointing out the faults in motorists and ignoring their own bad, and in some cases, dangerous riding?
  • downfader
    True, the body goes into survival mode and does store more fat, but after a threshold is reached it will become malnourished and burn up what is stored in the body and this includes fats, muscle and carb storage (eg the liver can mess up royally)

The bloating is from gasses and these are ejected iirc (been a VERY long time since I did any human biology :oops: ), but with the stomach and intenstine being more elastic it swells.

I hope I've got that right.
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    downfader wrote:

Nearly right there, it's actually fluid and not gases. It's best explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor

As for the woman in the vids, fair play to her for doing something about it all, but why does it need to be added to all the rest of the trash on YouTube?
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    "kwashiorkor" a proteitn deficiency syndronme causes the pot belly in famine starved people.

Seriously mr_hippo are you on a wind-up or what?
  • downfader
    JGS wrote:
    downfader wrote:

Nearly right there, it's actually fluid and not gases. It's best explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor

As for the woman in the vids, fair play to her for doing something about it all, but why does it need to be added to all the rest of the trash on YouTube?

Ahh cheers for that. I was nearly there then, lol! It has been over 15 years since I even had the books out (my mother hid them and I went down the cameras route instead :oops: )

As for the video being there - its a video blog site so I'm fine with that myself.
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    edited October 2008
    downfader wrote:
    Ahh cheers for that. I was nearly there then, lol! It has been over 15 years since I even had the books out (my mother hid them and I went down the cameras route instead :oops: )

If I had kids I'd do the same thing, cameras are expensive, but 10 years of uni to become a doctor is worse. :lol:
    downfader wrote:
    As for the video being there - its a video blog site so I'm fine with that myself.

In retrospect I think you're right. I guess this person isn't really trying to push the video on anyone are they.
  • downfader
    JGS, I work in hospital catering and know from working the academic dept's restaurant area that medical students cost a fortune. :lol: Atleast a 3rd drop out within the first 6 months too.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Ok firstly i'd like to say i did leave a posotive comment however to all those on there high horses i think we should take into account 55sec in on this clip

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eaJICjONaHI&feature=user

not trying to staert an argument but ya know......... :roll: :wink:
  • Hmmmm, this has all been very interesting to read. Let me introduce myself, I'm the "Shim" in the videos. I'm a 48 year old grandmother who started riding in 2005 after recovering from back injuries in 1988 among other health issues. I had 2 compression fractures from falling down 13 steps almost exactly 20 years ago. My life as I knew it was over. In early 2004, I thought I was having a heart attack and I wanted to see my grandchildren grow up.
    I lost a lot of weight and when I started riding in 2005, I became healthier than I can ever remember being. My first year (which started in late July of 05) I rode over 2500 miles. In 2006, I rode 4800 miles which included multiple centuries and a couple dozen metrics before I herniated a disc in my back. Unfortunately being nearly completely incapacitated took it's toll on my health. I was unable to ride, walk etc and a lot of my weight came back. I was finally diagnosed and able to have a microdiscectomy in May of 2007. During my recovery I also suffered a significant knee injury which kept me off my trainer again hampering my getting back on the bike. I was off the bike for nearly one and a half years hating my trainer but thankful to be able to walk and get on the bike considering I still have numbness in my right leg at times.
    The videos were my record for myself and friends who were following my recovery. I put them on youtube so that I could share them easily. I don't force anyone to look at them and if you were to look further, I also have many ride videos from before my back surgery. As to the comments about my meal, that was a small sandwich and soda as if I need to justify anything to you. I am working my way back to health and even though I was injured at a multi day event ride over the weekend, I will be back on that bike as quickly as I can. I go into physical withdrawel when I can't ride for any extended amount of time and since I stared riding in 05, I have over 7000 miles of riding through health and injury. When you have lived a week in my shoes, then you can judge me. FWIW, I've lost 25 pounds since I got back on the bike in June.
    PS, the original video looks worse than it is due to the fact it was videotaped with the camera aimed sideways. When the video was put into the right direction, it condensed the image distorting it.
    So when you make catty remarks judging someone for their appearance, remember they could be someone's mother, grandmother and if life happens to turn on you, yourself.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Burn on everyone criticising

FYI I think it's great you're doing this. We need more cyclists full stop, doesn't really matter what they look like or how "good" they are.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Nicely put Nightmare. Top marks to you.

I too suffered a compression fracture of my spine some years ago. Unable to exercise at all after that point (I was lucky to be able to walk) weight piled on and the disability was leading me down the road to depression. Further surgery restored my mobility and in an attempt to recover some of my health, I dug my bike out of the shed, blew the cobwebs off and went riding. Best thing I ever did. Lost 20lbs, and much improved general health. Cycling really is a joy.

So, keep it up Nightmare, and very best wishes. :D
  • Best of luck to you nightmare. We all exercise for ourselves, nobody else, so do not let it bother you that some people might snigger at the fact you're out riding a bike or using a trainer. You're out there getting in the best shape you can, which is more than most can say. So keep improving for yourself and your own health.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    edited October 2008
    cougie wrote:
    If you knew anything about her you would not ask that question. Talking about posting videos - why do cyclists post videos pointing out the faults in motorists and ignoring their own bad, and in some cases, dangerous riding?

Your are right we all probabaly do not know alot about the person on youtube apart from the fact that she is over weight and training to get fitter now after a knee injury and has posted a 6 min long vid in to the land of hte worlds hardest crittics youtubers.

if you do know about her please share why she is doing what she is doing and whats the background to it. I wish her well on her new training plan and i hope that her knees hold up well.

on a slight side note i think that a great youtube vid would be one of eash of her training rides over the next 12 months. put together like the stopmotion vids of plants growning, so people can see how she has got on. Now that could well be an insperational vid for alot of people to get on and do hte exersise they keep talking about doing,
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    sorry bit of a slow post dam work getting in the way of forum life
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    Paul Sh wrote:
    I actually went and posted a positive comment... people dare I say "like this" need all the encouragment they can get... :)

Everyone on this forum should post a good comment, i'll do mine now.

Went to post my positive comment but I just couldn't do it
  • nightmare wrote:
    Hmmmm, this has all been very interesting to read. Let me introduce myself, I'm the "Shim" in the videos. I'm a 48 year old grandmother who started riding in 2005 after recovering from back injuries in 1988 among other health issues. I had 2 compression fractures from falling down 13 steps almost exactly 20 years ago. My life as I knew it was over. In early 2004, I thought I was having a heart attack and I wanted to see my grandchildren grow up.
    I lost a lot of weight and when I started riding in 2005, I became healthier than I can ever remember being. My first year (which started in late July of 05) I rode over 2500 miles. In 2006, I rode 4800 miles which included multiple centuries and a couple dozen metrics before I herniated a disc in my back. Unfortunately being nearly completely incapacitated took it's toll on my health. I was unable to ride, walk etc and a lot of my weight came back. I was finally diagnosed and able to have a microdiscectomy in May of 2007. During my recovery I also suffered a significant knee injury which kept me off my trainer again hampering my getting back on the bike. I was off the bike for nearly one and a half years hating my trainer but thankful to be able to walk and get on the bike considering I still have numbness in my right leg at times.
    The videos were my record for myself and friends who were following my recovery. I put them on youtube so that I could share them easily. I don't force anyone to look at them and if you were to look further, I also have many ride videos from before my back surgery. As to the comments about my meal, that was a small sandwich and soda as if I need to justify anything to you. I am working my way back to health and even though I was injured at a multi day event ride over the weekend, I will be back on that bike as quickly as I can. I go into physical withdrawel when I can't ride for any extended amount of time and since I stared riding in 05, I have over 7000 miles of riding through health and injury. When you have lived a week in my shoes, then you can judge me. FWIW, I've lost 25 pounds since I got back on the bike in June.
    PS, the original video looks worse than it is due to the fact it was videotaped with the camera aimed sideways. When the video was put into the right direction, it condensed the image distorting it.
    So when you make catty remarks judging someone for their appearance, remember they could be someone's mother, grandmother and if life happens to turn on you, yourself.

Weldone that Lady
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • He would get better all round excercise if he tidied up all that junk behind him.