Warranty issue?

skins2
skins2 Posts: 78
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I bought a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 C2C Sora a few months ago and only noticed the other day that the brake and gear cables that pass and touch the head tube have worn away the paint to the bare metal. Maybe I could be accused of not spotting this sooner, but it's my first proper bike and I've just been concentrating on riding it.

In my experience of aluminium, if it's chipped or scratched the surrounding painted areas will eventually blister as the metal oxidises.

So is this a warranty issue and what can I expect my LBS to say about it?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Sorry - don' think it's a warranty issue, although my Via Nirone came with a sheet of protective stickers to put where the cables rub.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Skins2 wrote:
    In my experience of aluminium, if it's chipped or scratched the surrounding painted areas will eventually blister as the metal oxidises.

In my experience it won't. My commuting bike has bike had the same thing happen to it, ages ago, and it's still fine.

Aluminium will only form a very thin layer of alumina - it won't behave like rust.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • skins2
    So I should just accept that frame damage of this kind is a common problem and therefore not bother challenging it?

I can't believe everyone feels this way.

In all fairness it has been me damaging the bike but only by turning the handlebars, which is a fairly fundamental operation. If a similar scenario happened with a domestic appliance we'd all take it back, wouldn't we?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You can get patches to put on the frame if it bothers you. It's just what happens when there's rubbing cables....I can't really see it as a problem.

It's not a warranty issue.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Probably covered in the disclaimer under general wear and tear so you'll probably get no where.
    Most second-hand frames I've looked at, even the ones claiming to be immaculate, invariably had words to the effect of "bar cable run on the head tube". Chips to paint work on downtubes and so-called "cable rub" seem to be widely accepted norms.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Actually, I think Skins2 has a point. I have never had that problem as I have always used clear stickers where the cables rub since integrated shifters came out, but a new rider would not be expected to be aware of the inevitable paint damage.

Whether he would get any sympathy from either dealer or manufacturer is another matter, but I think it is very bad that they are allowed to get away with selling expensive bikes that will look like a pile of crap in a month because they couldn't be bothered to finish them properly. You wouldn't accept a car that had a section of bodywork rubbed back to bare metal because of the way it was made, why should we put up with it?

I have long felt that the cycling press should point this out as a fault everytime they test a bike, everyone is aware of it but just seem to accept it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Warranty issue ? No.

Clearly you havent been cleaning the bike properly, or you'd have picked this up before it got through to the metal.

Its not rocket science.

As the others say - clear stickers are good to put on a bike when you get it. Bit like putting mats into a new car. Stops the wear and tear.
  • ''Its not rocket science.

As the others say - clear stickers are good to put on a bike when you get it. Bit like putting mats into a new car. Stops the wear and tear.'''

What's with some peoples attitude on here?

Skins2 has stated that it's his first bike like this, and i'm sure he's not the first to make this 'beginners mistake'.

If it really bothers you and you believe it might cause further damage to the paintwork, then there's no harm mentioning it to the bs, then if it does, they'll have a record of it and you'll have an argument. I think the most you might get though is some patches, if you're lucky..

My allez elite came with a clear protective tab on the left hand side of the headtube, but the cable was routed down the right hand side..
    So someone out there, either at specialized or evans who probably isn't such a beginner needs some advice!
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    So someone out there, either at specialized or evans who probably isn't such a beginner needs some advice!

There's quite a few on this forum that will share that belief :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In most cases paint damage isn't covered by warranty - as many have said, either get clear patches when new or alternatively, buy some of the carbon effect ones to cover up the damage. It's pretty well expected with modern bike cable-routeing, particularly where the adjusters are on the down tube.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    It does look ugly, but don't worry about the bike it won't fall apart and the paint won't fall off. It's something most people learn the hard way, but it definitely won't do any damage, just look a bit ratty.
  • skins2
    If I could be bothered I'd drag it through the Small Claims Court (assuming the LBS weren't helpful), but I don't have enough time at the moment.

I think I'll stick some electrical tape over the scratches (black bike) and then some Park Tools puncture patches over that.

It's just bloody annoying, and the LBS should have warned me.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    But to be fair - if you'd been looking after the bike - you would have spotted that the paint was getting scuffed when you cleaned your bike ?

Just the insulating tape will be fine, or you can get something called helicopter tape (I think thats the name) - thats v hard wearing.

Enjoy the riding - but dont skimp on the maintenance !
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I got the helicopter tape from Biketart, good stuff, next day delivery (love the shop name!). It is almost invisible on my Planet-X Carbon. I put it everywhere there was a hint of a cable outer in proximity, before I even tried my new bike out (how neurotic is that!). Sorry you learned the hard way Skins, I think it would be useful if LBS's warned buyers of this likelihood (it will always happen) and even sell some tape to them.
  • phelim1
    phelim1 Posts: 53
    it is not a warranty issue, you could ask lbs for clear patches they only cost a few pounds. it's not the end off the world.
  • skins2
    Just ordered some of that tape. Thanks, again, Alfablue :)