I went rock-climbing last night...

iain_j
iain_j Posts: 1,941
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
...at the local indoor climbing wall, after work. Haven't climbed for about 5 years now, took a while to get going again but once I was warmed up I was away. After 3 hours I decided it was time to ride home - 5 miles.

Never had so much pain on the bike! My arms refused to function. Nearly fell off pulling on the bars with the starting effort, my fingers didn't want to work on the STI levers, then at the first traffic lights, they refused to pull the brake levers. When I got them to work, the effort of pulling on the brakes gave me cramps right up to my elbows. Then, as always, there was a steep hill on the way home, followed by a long downhill needing more braking. Hardly had the energy to unlock the door when I got home.

But I'm going again next week :lol:

Comments

• Ieuanllan
    Ieuanllan Posts: 152
    I always think I haven't tried hard enough at the wall if I have any fingerprints left, and can lift a pint without serious pain!
    :D
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    No pain - no gain !
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • Ieuanllan
    Pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The reason I started cycling was because of the tendonitis from too much climbing
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Started MTBing for something to do when the weather was too crap to climb (364 days a year in scotland) got into road biking after that. Still climb a fair bit and instruct during uni holidays.
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    Ieuanllan wrote:
    Pain is weakness leaving the body...

Oh dear, I appear to have massive reserves of weakness!

Rock climbing is awesome, although I try and get the bus or walk to the clmbing centre because I know that driving or riding really hurts afterwards. I once had arm pump so bad I had to leave my car and pick it up the next day.
  • I ride a fixed wheel, my legs usually survive a tough bouldering sesh better than the rest of my limbs, and being able to brake the back wheel halves the effort needed on the brake levers. Its the handbrake on my, admitedly antiquated car that kills me.
  • iain_j
    mtb.boy wrote:
    No pain - no gain !

No skin left on my knuckles either :D
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Wimps. All wimps. Should get yourself out onto God's own rock, the Blessed Grit. When I were a lad....
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Ieuanllan
    Wimps. All wimps. Should get yourself out onto God's own rock, the Blessed Grit. When I were a lad....

Note my location sir! :D
  • iain_j
    Went again last night. Quite pleased on the improvement from last week - within half an hour I was at the level I was after 3 hours last week.

And I enjoyed riding home with that wind behind me too (although the first 2 miles were into the wind - oww).

Well, I can't leave work, have my tea in town, get to Stanage, climb for 2-3 hours, and get home again, before 10 o'clock :P and they don't do blueberry muffins like they do at my local wall either - drooool :lol: