Howdy all

ChillMTB
ChillMTB Posts: 7
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all. I fairly new to MTB. Just bought a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper comp disc. Very impressed, the juicy brakes are amazing. Been out in it most of today and really enjoying my new hobbie.

Comments

• A big HELLO to ya 8)
    Paul
  • I have one question. When should you clean the bike and what is the best way to do it? Ie just hose it down?

Thanks
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Welcome (nice bike, guy at work has just got one as well).

I tend to clean my bike after every ride, especially at this time of year. Hose off the mud, clean everything with Hope Sh1t shifter or Muck Off. Dry the frame with a rag, GT85 on the chain to disperse water and then when dry relube the chain with a chain lube (can take as long as the ride sometimes).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Hello from another newb. Considering a Rockhopper myself at the mo, hopefully taking a test ride tomorrow.

From experience, I'd echo what's said above. Give the bike a low pressure hose down after each ride and relube after cleaning.
    I say from experience, as I'd never bothered to try cleaning my current bike until recently, and found that the years of ground in dirt are now much harder to remove!
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Another question. My bike will be kept in a small metal bike shed outside with holes in the shed. Its hard to describe but the wholes are meant to be there. Is it not good for the bikes to be kept like this outside as they are sort of open to the elements?

Thanks
  • my bike gets a bucket of water over it everyday after I have returned home from work.
    Only the finest recycled water from the butt for my bike with a weekly chain lube n brake/wheel check up :roll:
    Paul
  • Another question. My bike will be kept in a small metal bike shed outside with holes in the shed. Its hard to describe but the wholes are meant to be there. Is it not good for the bikes to be kept like this outside as they are sort of open to the elements?

Thanks
  • Does the shed feel damp at all? It probably isn't ideal, but the holes are probably there for ventilation, so as long as they don't allow rain water in, they are probably a good thing. Make sure your bike is always cleaned and dried before putting it away, and that the chain, cassette, rear mech and front chainset are all lubricated, and it should be ok.

Keep an eye on things like water pooling in any places such as the inside of the rear cassette (turn the bike over to allow it to drain) or in bolt heads which are upward facing. Any hex bolts wich have upward facing heads are probably worth squirting with GT85 to stop them corroding.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08