Sorting out the cockpit of a Boardman Pro

godin
godin Posts: 17
edited October 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

I am a very happy owner of a Medium size Boardman Pro. At 5'8 I am a bit between sizes and decided on a medium size frame because of knee clearance.

As most people, I ride aggressive XC with some fairly hairy descents thrown in whenever I get the chance.

The bike is very comfortable on climbing, flat trails and reasonable downhills, but as soon as things gets really steep, it get fairly nervous. As soon as I got the bike, I swapped the pedals, tires and grips to something a bit more secure (egg beaters, nobby nics, lock-ons). I still think I am a bit too far forward on the bike, and it is almost impossible to get the front wheel up smoothly.

I want to maintain a fairly low position, and I hope the more direct steering of a shorter stem and bar will be offset by me not hanging over the bar going downhill. Also, It will make it easier for me to get behind the saddle (I prefer to keep the saddle way up).

I am considering the following changes:

Shorter stem (10-20 mm, sligthly more angled).
Slimmer bar (just too damn wide now, going for maybe a 600 mm flat bar).
Bar ends (to maintain reach)
Raise the stem a bit (have 30 mm to play with)

Will I be able to keep an efficient riding position with this, and will the change in riding position mean more stability going down?

/Jo