sore hands.

Baytt
Baytt Posts: 102
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
hey

im newish to road bikes, out on the road with my hands on the hoods after a while in between my thumb and my first finger, it gets slightly sore/uncomfortable

is this normal or is there something that can be changed to stop it?

cheers.

Comments

• Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Do you wear cycling gloves? These are fairly cheap and can stop that sort of thing. I used to suffer from the odd blister but i bought some and it stopped them forming.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    If you're not already wearing gloves, then get yourself a pair of mitts. That should reduce the soreness, and will also protect the palms of your hands should you crash.

Keep cycling, and move your hands around to other hand hold positions when they start to get sore. After a while your hands will get used to it, and you'll stop experiencing the soreness!
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    You could wear gloves, preferable gel ones which reduce the impact, or change the position of your hands around while you cycle.

Personally nbot a problem for me, but then I've spent enough time on a bike in the past year that i've developed callouses there, and that is while wearing gloves too.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • It took me about 4-6months to lose the soreness. I use something like these which help enormously http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=39544
    Keep riding and you'l be fine...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Baytt
    ah forgot to say i do wear gloves. got a pair of endura gel gloves, sorry bout that one :)
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    I had that problem after I switched froma n MTB to a Road bike. It was just a totally different hand position. When I finished my first ride I ached all over especially my arse and hands.

It took a couple of rides and tweaks to my bar height, saddle height to get used to it all. My hands dont ache at all now.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    You do say "slightly sore/uncomfortable", so it's not that bad, not agony.

You will get used to it, that web between your fingers isn't used to supporting weight, but your hands will toughen-up in the same way as your bum does on the saddle.

As others say though, get gloves and move your hands around a bit - tops, drops, corners, hoods, top of hoods in palms, etc.

You could experiment a bit and alter the position of the hoods.
    On Shimano (dunno about Campag but must be similar), there's a groove halfway-up the outside of the shifter, going under the rubber. Stick an allen key into it and you can loosen the band which holds the shifter on the bars, then you can waggle/slide the shifter up or down a bit. To move it far you'll have to remove the bartape, but you can usually just move it a bit without.
    Or you could loosen the stem faceplate and just rotate the whole bars, although this will alter the angle of the drops too.
    But have an experiment, see if you can get them a bit more comfortable.
  • Baytt
    andy_wrx wrote:
    You do say "slightly sore/uncomfortable", so it's not that bad, not agony.

You will get used to it, that web between your fingers isn't used to supporting weight, but your hands will toughen-up in the same way as your bum does on the saddle.

As others say though, get gloves and move your hands around a bit - tops, drops, corners, hoods, top of hoods in palms, etc.

You could experiment a bit and alter the position of the hoods.
    On Shimano (dunno about Campag but must be similar), there's a groove halfway-up the outside of the shifter, going under the rubber. Stick an allen key into it and you can loosen the band which holds the shifter on the bars, then you can waggle/slide the shifter up or down a bit. To move it far you'll have to remove the bartape, but you can usually just move it a bit without.
    Or you could loosen the stem faceplate and just rotate the whole bars, although this will alter the angle of the drops too.
    But have an experiment, see if you can get them a bit more comfortable.

cheers ill give that a shot :)