Overheating

manxshred
manxshred Posts: 295
edited October 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I have a big problem with overheating at the moment.

Last week, the weather conditions for my usual Thursday night ride were not good at all! So I had my water proof top on. After a short while I started to feel dizzy, had tunnel vision and was battling to stay on my bike. I was going to head back to the car but wasn't sure I would make it. I didn't feel particularly hot, but decided to unzip my jacket and pulled the sleeves up. Almost immediately I started feeling better and was soon fine.

Last night when I went out the weather was much better, so I didn't bother with the outer shell, until we got to the top of the climb and the wind was blowing across the hill tops. I put the outer on to keep the wind off and after a short while started to feel dizzy again. If I didn't have it on, I would have been cold, with it on, I overheat.

So what to do? I suppose a more expensive jacket with breathable material like gore-tex or e-vent would be better, but does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try.
I did drink a lot last night to try help, but didn't really help.

Thanks!

Comments

• gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    How about a Winter Jersey with a wind proof front?

I use that and have a very light waterproof, which I rarely need.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Gore bikewear windstopper jersey with removal sleeves (used to be called phantom but I think they've chnged the name). Expensive bit of kit but best cycling jersey you'll ever buy.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I've had this happen to me on winter mtb rides.

A waterproof is no good, even breathable ones. they can't get rid of the sweat as quick as you pump it out.

I tend to go for windproof and several layers (on the mtb anyway, i can then put garments into my pack as needed).

On a road ride I think packability may be more important. perhaps a longsleeve jersey (merino is good), a lightweight gilet and a lightweight jacket.

you can take off the two outerlayers and mix as needed.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I've had this happen to me on winter mtb rides.

A waterproof is no good, even breathable ones. they can't get rid of the sweat as quick as you pump it out.

I tend to go for windproof and several layers (on the mtb anyway, i can then put garments into my pack as needed).

On a road ride I think packability may be more important. perhaps a longsleeve jersey (merino is good), a lightweight gilet and a lightweight jacket.

you can take off the two outerlayers and mix as needed.

Basically what he said I do on my road bike rides.

Presently I would have on 2 shirts and a Gore Phantom jacket http://www.thetristore.com/view_product ... &make=Gore Bike Wear with the sleeves off so just as a gilet, and using shorts with leg warmers. Fingerless gloves, lightweight shoe covers only, only a helmet no cap under.

Trick with cycling at this time of year is to get the right balance, to stay warm without overheating which leads to sweat which then gets cold; staying dry without getting even wetter and more uncomfortable from sweat alone.

Layering is usually the trick, full waterproofs unless it is really p*ssing down and freezing cold are not the best answer.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....