Good waterproof breatheable jacket?

Chrissyt
Chrissyt Posts: 32
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
As above need a jacket for road riding that could be used for XC too and perhaps a bit of running?  Light weight? and hopefully about £30?!!Chris

Comments

• Good question: I currently use a "boil in the bag" waterproof and would like to find a good alternative but I think a £30 budget may be pushing it. One of the guys in my club has a Pearl Izumi Barrier which he got from Evans in the sale (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pea ... t-ec016154) and which he says works well, but it's £60.........hmmm, be interested in other suggestions.
    Winter warhorse: Giant Peloton 8400 ('99 vintage)
    Couldn't resist: Spez. Singlecross Fixie ('08)
    Summer cool: Custom Rourke, Deda 16.5 ('08)
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    £50's about where jackets start getting waterproof and breathable, closer to £100 is where they get really good at it.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    AT 30 quid would it be worth thinking about a gilet instead? You could combine it with arm warmers if necessary. Not ideal, I know, but cheap!
  • Agree with what's been said above; from my (admittedly limited) experience £30 will get you something that's waterproof or something that's breathable, but not something that's both! The jacket I've got at the mo was only £30 and I quite like it, but breathable it ain't.

As for the running side of things, I've tried a fair few supposed wonder-fabrics and have not yet found one that is both waterproof and breathable enough to stop me becoming soaked through with sweat when running at any sort of decent pace. The most important thing is not to be cold; I now use a £15 windproof shell coupled with between 1-3 Helly Hansen base/mid layers. This works better than any fancy jacket I've ever tried, and works out cheaper than a lot of them too.

• I've got a Montaine Featherlite and while it is v light and packs down to the size of a tennis ball, it is in no way waterproof. Showerproof maybe and certainly windproof, but you will get wet either through "boil in the bag" or if caught in a heavy or prolonged shower.

Can't comment on the Endura. I've yet to find a breathable AND waterproof top. It may be just me however - I seem to have thermal blood and heat up even walking to the shop. I've resigned myself to getting wet but staying warm, prefering layers that will dry quicker and keep me warm rather than dry.

I've even had use of a Gore Xenon jacket and found that boiled me alive.
  • Hi,
    Of the two I gave you the Endura ultralite gets a very good review could be worth a good research on google.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    A good one recommended by everyone (afaik) is the Gore Phantom. Even BikeRadar has got a glowing review of it. It is £100 though.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639

I've got a Montaine Featherlite and while it is v light and packs down to the size of a tennis ball, it is in no way waterproof. Showerproof maybe and certainly windproof, but you will get wet either through "boil in the bag" or if caught in a heavy or prolonged shower.

Can't comment on the Endura. I've yet to find a breathable AND waterproof top. It may be just me however - I seem to have thermal blood and heat up even walking to the shop. I've resigned myself to getting wet but staying warm, prefering layers that will dry quicker and keep me warm rather than dry.

The Montane Featherlite isn't sold as a waterproof though (unless you have the H2O version). It's made from Pertex which is a brilliant windproof material (they make parachutes from it).

I agree though that, as far as I know, no material is waterproof and completely permeable. You can buy Gore-tex, but I don't think the difference in price quite justifies the small increase in permeability. But, each to their own I guess. What I will say for spending on Gore Tex though, is that the cut is often a hell of a lot better than other, cheaper brands.

Staying comfortable when wet, I think is the way to go.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've got an old Endura Jaffa jacket. Very light, packs down to the size of a large sausage roll (MMMMMM)
    Made from Pertex. Fairly breathable, only showerproof though, and I have to maintain it's water repellant finish by reproofing periodically, otherwise the water starts to soak through rather than beading and running off
  • gabriel959
    keef66 wrote:
    I've got an old Endura Jaffa jacket. Very light, packs down to the size of a large sausage roll (MMMMMM)
    Made from Pertex. Fairly breathable, only showerproof though, and I have to maintain it's water repellant finish by reproofing periodically, otherwise the water starts to soak through rather than beading and running off

What do you use for reproofing?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    My winter waterproof is a Paramo which is quite warm but the most comfortable and breathable of any weatherproof jacket. It folds down to the size of a tin of Quality Street.
    My windproof is a Sprayway featherlight, a bit more durable than the Montaine and folds down to the size of a Cornish pasty.
  • Try somewhere like TK Maxx. They often have good stuff at good prices in their 'activewear' section. The colours can sometimes be a bit iffy - but obviously there has to be some reason why they end up in the bargain bin! You might need to browse regularly until you get what you want in your size, but the savings can be spectacular. I got a Vaude Escape jacket, normal price £75, for £25. It has been completely waterproof and pretty breathable and would have been good value even at full price!
  • keef66
    What do you use for reproofing?

_ can't remember off the top of my head; I'll have a look at the bottle tonight. It works though. Bought it in Blacks the outdoor shop IIRC
  • keef66
    had a quick look at the Blacks website, and I'm pretty sure it's the Nikwax Techwash. A fiver for 300mls which according to the label does 2 washes, but cos the Jaffa jacket is so flimsy / small I can get by with a fraction of the water volume they suggest and reduce the techwash amount pro rata. I've done it 4 times and I guess there's another couple to go.
  • gabriel959
    will get a can for my Montane Featherlite :)

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Nikwax is real good as I and my friends use to use it when I was in the TA, on your kit.

Come to think of it I should have some a round somewhere :roll: :)
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    You can get larger bottles of Nikwax Techwash off the internet for a lot cheaper (per wash) than Blacks. As for a breathable waterproof, go for something that has lots of vents on it as even my North Face Lightspeed jackact (Gore-tex paclite) can get sweaty at full on effort running / biking.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Try somewhere like TK Maxx.

Seconded! Describe any clothing item as being for "cycling", "running", "fell walking" etc etc and price increases by 50%. I bought a 25 jacket at TKMax: it's black so I wear a reflective "belt". Long underarm zips keep it cool enough for me. Waterproof so far. Would have been at least double in a sports shop!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • thasnk guys!

after looking decided i'm definately not going to get both! so compact waterproof is the waty i think.

any ohther makes around the £30 mark?

Chris
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994

I've got a Montaine Featherlite and while it is v light and packs down to the size of a tennis ball, it is in no way waterproof. Showerproof maybe and certainly windproof, but you will get wet either through "boil in the bag" or if caught in a heavy or prolonged shower.

The link was to the h20 version not the standard one. I find the standard one pretty good for light-medium rain, any more than that and it gives up but still keeps you warm pretty well.
  • No breathable will stop you getting soaked inside out when riding hard.

I’d advise, getting something small and light to put on if you’re just pootling about, or when you get off the bike (if you do stops), and wear a windproof when you’re riding and just get wet, which is far preferable to boiling in a bag
  • gabriel959
    The Montane Featherlite Velo sounds like what you need. It is an excellent windproof and showerproof and breathable enough. It is £35 too.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    The Polaris Aqualitehits your budget and requirements. It will be out performed by more expensive jackets but you get what you pay for.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have the Endura Ultralite linked earlier - it's OK but it's not amazingly breathable, I use it as an emergency jacket packed in a jersey pocket (or camelbak if on the MTB). Just ordered a DHB waterproof for £100 now to have something to go out in when it's already raining that will be a bit more comfortable.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I have a dhb weston and it's great for keeping dry but I do get sweaty, arms mostly

but that's probably cos I end up caning it whenever I'm on a bike (no self control... racing myself....) :roll:

I also have a rollup endura one but that one leaks through the seams between the arms and the body, I don't wear that one much so I couldn't say about the boil factor on it, I seem to remember it was sweaty also...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Gill do some decent stuff that is waterproof with arm pit zips etc. and can sometimes be found on sale at cheap prices from the likes of Wiggle.

No breathable jacket works properly in a very damp atmosphere because the physics just don't stack up.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    I wear a Gill jacket every day for about 3 years. Its never leaked once and its not sweaty at all. I recommend their stuff. It was about £55 though IIRC.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....