What is Afan like?

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
Hey

I have done the xc course in cwmcarn twice, what is afan like compaired to cwmcarn.

Been watching some stuff of you tube but you can never really judge.

Thanks guys

P.s what are some good courses for a semi beginner

Comments

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    No idea what its like compared to Cwmcarn but its awesome!!! There are 4 different trails and some of my mates who had never been offroad before managed The Wall and Penhydd (sp?) without too many incidents. That said they are demanding trails if you ride them hard. Whites is more technical but is still very manageable. Go have a look, you won't be disappointed!
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    I'll tell you in 7 days! - (Not that Im still counting!!) :lol::lol::lol:

Hope to hit the Penrydd Trail by 9am next Friday, had it booked for AGES so cant wait now!
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Penhydd is a corking trail. Ride it slowly, and it won't challenge you too much. Hit it hard, though, and you really will have a blast. "Desolation" is a cracking bit of singletrack - hit it fast and enjoy! The Hidden Valley section is another bit of glorious riding. As you may be able to tell, I'm a fan! It's all fairly similar in difficulty to Twrch at Cwmcarn if taht helps. Enjoy!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Afan Argoed is much better than Cwm Carn IMO - more trails, more variety, closer to Neath - what an amazing place. You'll love it.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    The Penhydd trail at Afan Argoed is the easiest trail of the four (Penhydd, The Wall at Afan Argoed, Whites Level, Skyline at Glyncorrwg 10 minutes further up the valley past Afan Argoed)

All have got a lot of climbing, mostly on fireroads. Hidden Valley section, at the of Penhydd, is twisty single track that is more difficult than most parts of the trail.

The Wall is longer with more technical sections (Graveyard being the most difficult, I walk the hard parts).

Starting from Glyncorrwg, Whites Level and Skyline share the same 95% singletrack climb for about 7km.

At the top there is the option of 'The Black Run', northshore type tracks with steep and tricky sections, not for the beginner.

The old route splits at Windy Point, Skyline going on for another 40 or so km with the last downhill section being quite fast and technical.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • canada16
    WOW

Thanks guys, am started a bike thing at work and got everyone riled up about it, and I have come down with a bit of a cold and flu.

So not sure if im going this weekend, feel real bad as bought new Panaracer fire xc's for the trip.

I got no energy, oh these things happen.

Deff go next week, just hoping the weather is going to stay nice, uhm or should I push past the cold and get my ass out there, I just dont want to be drained you know and spoil it.

I live quite close in cardiff, so its quite good.

Im taking my first full suss bike, A focus SuperBud, with F100RL fox up front and RP2 in the rear.

God Im stuck.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If you're Ok at Cwmcarn you'll be fine in Afan, the trails are just a bit longer.

Can't believe you're in Cardiff and not been over to Afan (that said I've been visiting the inlaws in Cardiff for the last 10 years and only sussed out Cwmcarn and Afan were so close :oops: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • canada16
    I dont get out much.

Got kids and work, so its quite difficult, also none of my mates bike ride, so I hate going by myself, so started asking people in work.

Not going to be able to go as gotten a lot sicker today, so will have to wait.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Spent last weekend up there and again a 10/10! Weather was a top notch. Even a crash on the final day didn't spoil things. Just left me a bit groggy. Thankfully the helmet saved me from serious damage.

I want / need to go back. The single track climb up White's is sublime.
    Paul
  • canada16
    Thanks guys

Cant wait now, hopefully next week is really nice weather.
  • |Hey, you will love it, make sure you go down there for 2 days, ride the two lower ones on the 1st day and then the next day ride the Skyline trail... camp over night and have a few late drinks at the centre.
    Hi all, new to the forum, I live in Stockton (Warwickshire) and even though I have a few riding buddies I am always looking for other people to go out riding with or even talking " nuts & bolts" guys or girls!!!...
  • Bmjboy
    We will be there next weekend - first time and all that, although been putting a lot of research in (should read: Spent hours on Youtube and Flickr!)

Aim to do Penrydd Friday, Wall and Whites on Saturday, Skyline on Sunday.

6 Days to go!!

:lol::lol::lol:

• pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Anyone ever think about riding all the trails in a day?
    Paul
  • canada16
    I would, but you would have to be up there quite early if they are like 14miles each.

Plus someone said something about booking a trail, have you got to call in advance?
  • Bmjboy
    I think that would be some seriously hard going to do all 4 in one day, I personally wouldnt do it.

Canada : You may have mis-read my comment re booking, I was refering to our accomodation that has been booked for a while now, and no you dont have to book or pay to cycle the trails - just turn up and ride.

Oh on that note... anyone know if parking at the centres is free or not?

• zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I recently did 3 in a day (not skyline) and it was hard going - doing Penhydd last in the pitch black was an interesting experience when that tired - the whole thing was a blur! :D

I'd say Afan on the whole is slightly more demanding than CwmCarn - trails are slightly longer, and in particular Whites Level, has unavoidable ~1ft steps/drops in places. Although I took two female intermediates around recently on mid-range hardtails and they blitzed it all fine.

Whites has pretty much 100% singletrack climb (unless you do black run), the others are much more fireroad dominated. Most say that Whites is the best but if you forgive the others their fireroad climbs I think the Wall and Penhydd are nicer trails.

None are technically as tricky as CwmCarn's climb though :twisted:
  • stumpyjon
    You pay to park at the car parks at both Afan sites, Cwmcarn is free.
    None are technically as tricky as CwmCarn's climb though
    glad you said that, I though it was just me being a duffer :lol:

• andrewjoseph
    canada16 wrote:
    I would, but you would have to be up there quite early if they are like 14miles each.

Plus someone said something about booking a trail, have you got to call in advance?

skyline is ~ 45km.

You don't need to book trails in advance.

parking at Afan is £2 day, I think it is the same at glyncorrwg.
    --
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I'm off there for 3 days in November and I can't wait. I'm not exactly a talented MTBer and haven't ventured too far from the Chilterns before so I am glad to have found this thread. Is it worth me investing in some shin pads for my break? I'm used to chalk and claggy mud and am comfortable crashing on them...... but rocks???? What are they???
  • Bmjboy
    guilliano wrote:
    I'm off there for 3 days in November and I can't wait. I'm not exactly a talented MTBer and haven't ventured too far from the Chilterns before so I am glad to have found this thread. Is it worth me investing in some shin pads for my break? I'm used to chalk and claggy mud and am comfortable crashing on them...... but rocks???? What are they???

You are pretty much like myself from the sounds of things, Im by no means brilliant, but what I lack in skill/fitness I more than make up for in enthusiasm.

I posted a few questions ages ago about my forthcoming trip to Afan, and I have found that knee/shin protection is a must. I have even bought elbow guards, but not sure whether to wear them or not.

Ive got 661 Kyle Straight knee pads, and all my mates have bought 661 Race Light Knee & Shin guards.

Even in training, my pads have already saved me from a pretty gashed knee, so worth it already!

I have read that you would look like the odd-one-out if you rocked up without some kind of knee/shin protection, so I would advise you get some.

Why not take a look on Flickr and Youtube and you will see what other people are wearing and also the terrain you are likely to face.

(4 days to go.... :lol: )

• stumpyjon
    I got some of the Kyle Straight knee pads before my first foray to Afan, didn't need them in the end because I didn't fall off (that time) but considering they're not particularly uncomfortable to wear (I was surprised at how comfy they were atcually) I'd recommend getting some. It's not just the rocks at Afan, the trees are pretty close as well. I'll be getting some elbow pads before I go next time.

• Bmjboy
    Ive been wearing mine in for several weeks now, wear them on every ride - even when I know Im just going down the road, just to wear them in and iron out any nasty rubs or niggles with them.

Dont know Im wearing mine now, I think theyre great - although, when taken off, you realise how hot you get wearing them.

I dont want to fall off, but if/when it happens I want to make sure I can survive it pretty much intact!

• muzza31
    muzza31 Posts: 19
    stop asking and get out there and ride them trails then form your own opinion.. as far as i am concerned any dirt rock tree and mtb spot is good.. no hills or stuff like this in london

prefer afan to cwm carn. as i think it is jinked for my any way. since every time i ride there i break a bone , or a major part of my bike..

arhhhh
    rip it up like crazy.. feel the burn...
  • andrewjoseph
    I've never worn elbow/knee pads at afan, and i ride there all the time.

saying that I slightly gashed my knee on a silly fall the other day, still don't see any need for protection though.
    --
  • muzza31
    muzza31 Posts: 19
    knee pads good as welsh slate aint good on knees.
    rock knee cap broken knee no riding makes sense to minise the damage cause royal gyent A&E sucks..
    rip it up like crazy.. feel the burn...
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Just got back from Afan myself.

Parking is £2.70 there and similar (via machine outside reception) at Glyncorrwg.

Depends what you are after but I'd say the SkyLine is more of an endurance route. You'll spend far more time on fire/forestry roads than ST and I personally didn't think the downs were worth the climbs.

My mates did Whites and said it is badly eroded. The got so rattled (on bl**dy good bikes too) that their teeth ached!

Most enjoyed by all was the Wall on day2.

The first time we went we all did Penhydd and The Wall on day one, then Whites on day two. Any more than that would be too much I think. I'd be suprised if you did Skyline and any other route in one day. Skyline took us 5.5 hrs (total breaks of abt 40 mins).

Enjoy and make sure you have layers and waterproofs in your bag, you'll almost certainly need them at some stage.

BJB
  • Bmjboy
    I've never worn elbow/knee pads at afan, and i ride there all the time.

saying that I slightly gashed my knee on a silly fall the other day, still don't see any need for protection though.

Please lets not turn this into a "Why protection" debate like the Helmet one currently going on.

Im padding up so I bounce and not snap when I land!! :lol:

Running my own business, I simply couldnt afford to take time off, so money on protection is very well spent!

(3 days to go...... :lol: )

• andrewjoseph
    Please lets not turn this into a "Why protection" debate like the Helmet one currently going on.

Not my intention, just saying i ride there weekly and I don't use pads.

There are rocks around afan, and some are sharp, but there is very little, if any, slate.
    --
  • Canada 16, the trails at Afan, particularly the newer ones at Glygorrwg, are really well designed so that weather doesn't affect them too much. I've ridden Whites Level in horrendous rain but still had plenty of grip. The trail surface has a lot of rocks from small to big, so it is nice and varied and generally doesn't get turned into a bog.
    Cwmcarn has far more roots, especially on some of the climbs. None of the climbing is as tough at Afan IMO.
    Whites Level is just awesome. It is about the same length as Cwmcarn with more climbing, but the climbing is generally steady singletrack. The black run is brilliant but could be foolhardy if you are new to rocky DH type riding. It is optional and can be bypassed.
    They have recently linked up Whites and The Wall with a fireroad track just before the start of the NRG trail. If you are feeling fit then that is a better choice for a longer ride than Skyline I think - less fireroad. Skyline has some pretty cool bits in fairness, just seems to be a lot of fireroad is all.
    Also, compared to Cwmcarn the shop and Cafe are first class. The tortilla in the Drop Off Cafe with a big mug of tea after a day of riding - brilliant!
    When you have gorged yourself on Afan, apparently Brechfa Forest has a new trail that is even better....
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    There's a couple of clips of the YOGi's at Afan here; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l5hcw_WI- ... re=related and a Part 2 also if you search.

Notice the dislocated elbow at the end of the part 2 video. Both filmed at Whites Level.

I've done Penhyd and The Wall one after the other in 2 1/2 hours but wasn't much good for anything after that. Great riding though.