New Avalanche 1.0 Disc - Pads rubbing

chris1210
chris1210 Posts: 2
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello, new round here! :D

Just upgraded today to a shiny new GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 08 which arrived in the post. Spent a while unpacking and putting it together, but the one thing that seems a bit strange is that the Hydro Tektro brakes are constantly touching the discs - im assuming this isnt correct, or is this basically a 'running in' thing?

Having never had disc brakes before, thought id best ask before i dare fiddle with anything....... dunno whether its just a case of winding the pads back a little bit?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you let them bed in yet?

oh please try the search button.

it works.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    It may have been a possibility that the brake lever(s) where pulled while the wheel/rotor was not fitted, resulting in over-contacting pads.

If the problem it that drive is effected - i.e actually slowing you down and not just a light rubbing noise, remove wheel and push the pads back and try again.

Im sure this is the same issue my friend had with the exact same bike.

If you are not familiar with building a boxed bike, I would advise you get it checked over by your LBS purely for safety sake.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I'm having the same problem with the pads bed in fully according to manufacturer's instructors. Eventually the LBS concluded that there was a tiny kink in the front rotor and the bacl was due to the frame not being faced properly at the brkr mount, so the caliper was leaning to the right. They're going to face the frame for me using a Hope tool.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs