Down the hill in Richmond Park

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I've just recently started cycling and try to go out to Richmond Park a couple of times a week. I'm trying to get used to handling the bike at speed and was wondering how other cyclist approach the downhill part of Richmond park - the one as you're going away from Ham gate to the NE, a downhill that bends to the right.

I tend to brake quite a bit before entering the righthand bend, but I'm not really sure if I need to. Can you just go the whole way down without braking? I'm always a bit worried about braking here as I don't want to make another rider ram into me from behind (ahem).

Thought I'd better ask here before attempting a practical experiment!

Comments

• Personally I brake before the bend and then free whell around it

whilst doing this I've been passed by other cyclists as if I am not moving :shock:

I thinks it's what you feel safe with and the road / traffic conditions.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    If I am thinking of the same piece of road, then it should be safe not to break at all. If you are worried about things behind you, maybe look backwards more often :D
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Do you mean the most obvious hill in the park, heading anti-clockwise with the car park at the top? That's between Kingston and Robin Hood gates. (if you head north from Ham gate you're going uphill towards Richmond gate)

I freewheel from the top and start pedalling about 2/3 of the way round the bend, basically as the angle starts to get shallower again, picking up 3 or 4mph and hitting 37 or 38mph, and then maintaining as much speed as sensible up to Robin Hood gate. There's no need to brake unless road or wind conditions are dicey or there are deer or other vehicles that might potentially cause a hazard.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Um, all of the above is of course hypothetical, officer.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    biondino wrote:
    There's no need to brake unless road or wind conditions are dicey or there are deer or other vehicles that might potentially cause a hazard.

I once came round that corner by the tree to find a minicab overtaking an oncoming car. Tucked in and squeaked by screaming and very scared. Not sure how I missed his wing mirror but was very conscious of the wooden posts in the verge :shock:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    If it's a hill you ride regularly, you can practise it until you know how to approach it best. Start by braking into it a lot, and apply the brakes later each time until it starts feeling very sketchy round the corner, which normally means you've reached your cornering limit. Your cornering limit can be improved with practise. Just remember, if you think you've gone in too fast, NEVER brake in the middle of the corner. Bad things will happen. Just lean over a bit more, the bike will get round.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I used to brake on that corner, now I simply keep the power on and trust the bike.

Just practice with your line, but trust me, there is no need to brake.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Thanks for all your good advice. I'm feeling much more confident about laying off the brakes a bit. I guess it's just a question of getting used to handling the bike at speed.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    I would echo the people above. I feel a bit uneasy saying this incase you end up falling off but you may be surprised just how fast you can take corners on a bike. I used to think i pushed things going downhill when i was younger. Then i went to the Pyrenees with some guys who did a lot of races. They were miles in front of me (literally) going uphill but going down i eventually found that if i latched onto the back wheel of the last man and just tried to do what everyone else did then i could take corners so much faster than i had done before. This can also benefit in other areas as it made me much faster at taking sharp corners on the flat with good visibility around them (junctions for instance). Having been off the bike for 6 years i cant descend for toffee now though, especially with the thought that a policeman/deer might be waiting around the other side of the corner. Maybe trying to follow a more experienced descender might help if you get a chance? Probably more of a help on a longer descent rather than just the one corner though.