How Do

ince
ince Posts: 289
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Well after 4 months of lurking around this forum I have finally signed up and logged in to say hello.

I started commuting back from work a little over 4 months ago due to my car failing its mot and not having any other way of getting home. The car since passed but I have yet to use it again for the journey. :D I'm fitter, sleep better and need to go out and buy new jeans.

My PB for the 8.6 miles on my old subway is 33 min atm but average between 36 and 38 min on a day to day basis, I know I can do better as I often arrive home with energy to spare. I am hoping to get a road bike soon when my work get the cycle to work going. I was looking at the Giant SCR4 or the Trek 1.2 but may be able to stretch a little more if I can get a bike on the cycle to work.

This forum and you guys have given me inspiration and good advice on my commute and ride style. I am now much more aware of HGVs and the danger when filtering through traffic (something I never thought about when I started out). Knowledge is safety and it a surprise how many people I see lack this knowledge out on the road.

Keep up the good work.

Comments

• Welcome, and that is a good PB!!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Welcome to the virtual madhouse!

Glad you are more safety conscious as a result - me too.
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    ince wrote:
    Well after 4 months of lurking around this forum I have finally signed up and logged in to say hello.

I started commuting back from work a little over 4 months ago due to my car failing its mot and not having any other way of getting home. The car since passed but I have yet to use it again for the journey. :D I'm fitter, sleep better and need to go out and buy new jeans.

My PB for the 8.6 miles on my old subway is 33 min atm but average between 36 and 38 min on a day to day basis, I know I can do better as I often arrive home with energy to spare. I am hoping to get a road bike soon when my work get the cycle to work going. I was looking at the Giant SCR4 or the Trek 1.2 but may be able to stretch a little more if I can get a bike on the cycle to work.

This forum and you guys have given me inspiration and good advice on my commute and ride style. I am now much more aware of HGVs and the danger when filtering through traffic (something I never thought about when I started out). Knowledge is safety and it a surprise how many people I see lack this knowledge out on the road.

Keep up the good work.

Hi there. Glad you have seen the light. You will find them a really friendly bunch here and v helpful...and funny.

I have a Trek 1.2 and I have been really happy with it so far. Get a road bike ASAP as they are much much more fun to ride...if a little hairy at times.

Cheers!
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Thanks for the welcome.

Yep hope to have a bike on order as soon as poss.

:D

and after that PB I felt like death, could hardly stand and though I was going to be sick. I got close the other night in the rain with a 34:30 and I felt really good after. Seems I like to get wet or the challenge of getting thought the adverse weather condition was enough to spur me on.
  • Its a good effort. My commute is a 'baw hair' off 8 miles and is uphill pretty much all of the way, with some serious steep bits and my PB is 31:12. That was yesterday and it was pretty windy. Im going to get it under 30 soon...

Enjoy all the fun of the forum.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • Its a good effort. My commute is a 'baw hair' off 8 miles and is uphill pretty much all of the way, with some serious steep bits and my PB is 31:12. That was yesterday and it was pretty windy. Im going to get it under 30 soon...

Enjoy all the fun of the forum.

For anyone who is unsure of what a "baw hair" is, it is an unusual unit of measurement (think double decker buses, football pitches, Eiffel Towers), often used in Scotland, particulary by males, to indicate a short distance or period of time.

A full description of this term is unsuitable for a family forum :D
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • Thank you Ayrshire.

:lol:
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon