Replacing tyres

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, my rear tyre (Kenda Nevegal) is beginning to look a bit worn and I think I should replace it soon, the front one is fine, and I was wondering when you change your tyres is it best to keep the same tread profile front and rear? Or is it ok to mix and match?

I'm not unhappy with the performance I've had from the Nevegals but if there are other recommendations I'd appreciate them.

I've been told Panaracer Cinders are good.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I've mixed a few tyres but they were basically the same type of tyre and they worked OK. I'm not such a good rider that I can tell the difference.

Nevegals are very good by all accounts but how about some S-Works Eskars or Mountain Kings ?
  • When replacing tyres, one opinion is to put the newer/grippier tyre on the front. This means you have the most grip on the front where you want it most.

I have seen advice for cars, when replacing a pair of tyres to switch them front to back, with whatever is partworn, so as to maintain the handling characteristics.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    It is not uncommon to have a grippier tyre on the front, whether it be due to a different tread pattern or a softer compound.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Daz555 wrote:
    It is not uncommon to have a grippier tyre on the front, whether it be due to a different tread pattern or a softer compound.
    Or a slightly wider tyre on the front either.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • I don't like Cinders much, I use Nevegals, loads of grip. My hardtail has Conti Gravity on the rear & Vert on the front, nice & predictable, the Gravity climbs really well, but the Vert isn't as grippy as the Nevegals - really predictable tho - ages of time to recover from front wheel slides. I've not tried them, but the new Conti Mountain Kings & Rubber Queen tyres look good, although the name will slow down sales I reckon! I went for Nevegals again as they're a fair bit cheaper & I'm happy with the grip.