Road bike for <£300

Mithra
Mithra Posts: 64
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Heya, I'm looking for a new bike, and trying to decide between getting a road bike (probably for triathlon type things) and a mountain bike. As there are sales on at the moment I thought I may as well make up my mind now :). Does anyone have any suggestions for road bikes around £300 that will have a decent lifespan? I have read about a couple in 220 triathlon magazine but I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions on here? Any advice would be great :D

Comments

• wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    aye, you can have mine for 299 quid, Falcon Corsair, very exclusive, you'll not see another one on the road

recently serviced. Well the bloke in the shop said 'I can't do anything with that', so I presume it's in tip top condition

be quick though, it'll soon get snapped up

not completely unrelated, a scrap man came down our street last week, never seen one in 30 years
  • Mithra
    Mithra Posts: 64
    wiffachip wrote:
    aye, you can have mine for 299 quid, Falcon Corsair, very exclusive, you'll not see another one on the road

recently serviced. Well the bloke in the shop said 'I can't do anything with that', so I presume it's in tip top condition

be quick though, it'll soon get snapped up

not completely unrelated, a scrap man came down our street last week, never seen one in 30 years

Sounds brilliant! I'll pay £900 for it!
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    deal, I'll even deliver it, pm me your details
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    If you live near a decathlon they do a 6061 alu , equipped with Sora or Campag for £299 ....don't think you will beat it for value. I use this as my commuter - and recently clocked 1200 miles with problems.
  • Have a lookat Chain Reaction. They do a BeOne range which starts at £319. Not quite £300 but close and I'm not sure there are many road bikes out there for less).
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.