How walkable are them there walkable shoes?

Onan
Onan Posts: 321
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I need a shoe that I can wear all day after I commute to and from university, as I don't have a place to leave my stuff, and carrying around a spare pair of shoes in my bag is just impractical.

I'm thinking spds and MTB shoes, but I still don't know if I'll be able to walk around in them all day without either knackering the cleats or my feet. Just how walkable are they, and what are the most walkable ones?

I haven't even got the bike yet, and it'll be my first road bike, so I really know next to nothing. My other option is straps, and trainers, but straps look like a pain in the arse to get into at lights.
Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I walk around on MTB shoes at university and they are pretty grippy, no worse than normal shoes.

I've got some of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16619
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    walkability depends on the particular shoe, some MTB shoes are just as stiff as road shoes and some are almost as soft as training shoes, my mtb shoes are very stiff and i wouldnt want to walk in them much more than about an hour
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    My Specialized Taho's SPD cleats are slightly proud of the sole, which is annoying, as they are sold as "flexible in front of the cleat for comfort when walking", which in reality isn't that feasible outside and not possible indoors (unless you want to mark the floor). Makes a bit of a nonsense of the proper walking pattern sole. That said, they are very comfortable and have a nice wide toe box.
  • Onan
    I walk around on MTB shoes at university and they are pretty grippy, no worse than normal shoes.

I've got some of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16619

They're pretty reasonable too. Thanks.

Will the other roadies laugh at me for running MTB pedals on my road bike?
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Not if you are faster than them.
  • I've got a pair of Specialized Sonoma's that are fairly comfy. I've never done full day walking about, but should be fine if you're sitting for periods too.

Still sound like a girl coming down stairs though...
  • cavemud
    cavemud Posts: 21
    I've done exactly this for years.

You won't knacker the cleats at all, however the rubber tread will wear down eventually exposing the cleat, which is fine but gets noisy.

Recently bought some Shimano MT41's which look good, feel good and are fine for walking in.

Bit of advice though, get some with a velcro tab to keep the laces tucked away, otherwise you'll be wrapping them round your chainwheel.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I have done the same and have a pair of shimano shoes which lace up. I can walk around fine in them when I get to college but I'm sure they will murder wooden floors

If other roadies notice they should be looking where they are going :)
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Onan
    Thanks for all the advice. Sounding like a girl, and scraping up the universities floors I can live with. If they want me to sound like a man, and leave their floors intact, they will have to give me a proper place to change and leave my shoes.

:lol:
  • Can't you store a spare pair of sneakers at Uni?
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Northwave do a range called 'bike hike' which are great for walking with:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25414

Those ones on Chainreaction are the heavy boots, but they have lighter versions, I've a pair and they are really good for both.

Check out any spds for vibram soles. This is usually a good sign for their walkability.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Specialized Sonoma and Taho shoes are fine for walking in all day and they don't look to bad, I have not found the cleat to be proud of the sole, must be an individual variation. I also have Shimano MT90 boots that genuinely double up as walking boots, they are Gore Tex lined so they keep dry (an advantage if you aren't taking separate shoes, its bound to rain), and they are not too heavy, I can happily wear them all day. My vote would be for the MT90's so you aren't walking around with wet feet all day. Shimano sizing is wrong though, I take size 45 but needed 47 in these.

Sonoma from Cyclesurgery
    L_08ShSonomaGroup.jpg

Specialized Taho

11646.jpg

Shimano MT90

shimano%20MT%2090.jpg

alternatively, cheap and cheerful (and probably good)

DHB from Wiggle £34

dhb-t1-med.jpg
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Got some Shimano MT31's, rigid sole for cycling but with a bit of flex at the toes for walking round - v. comfy. They're lace-up, with a loop to keep the loose ends out the way.
  • i recently bought a pair of the Taho's....in black, look a bit better IMO and they are fine for walking. I know what you mean about the slightly proud nature of the spd cleat but its ok. I managed to walk over a mile last Monday in them and felt fine and cleats look ok too...
    David
  • I can vouch for the walkability of the Shimano MT31s - I did an unplanned 13kms the other day. But be warned that shimano sizing is very odd - they are about 1 (continental) size smaller than most shoes or possibly more if you've got wide-ish feet like me - eg I take size 46 in MT31s against 44, or 45 tops, for anything else. No problem if you can try them on, but size up if you are buying online.
  • Cakey
    Cakey Posts: 6
    I ran about 4km in these in a recent triathlon (due to a mechanical failure on the bike) and they were perfectly comfortable...

http://www.northwave.com/eu/shoes_det.php?itemid=22&catid=3&area=3

They've also spent a few days on my feet in the office on the odd occasion when I've forgotten to pack shoes on my commute, and didn't look too conspicuous.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    They are generally good. Much much better than roadie ones for walking comfort.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    shimano%20MT%2090.jpg

I'd rather mince and slide around in full Cadel Evans branded road shoes than wear shoes that make me look like a *hiker* :twisted: