New chainset for a GT Avalanche 1

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, this week I've had to change my chain and sprockets due to wear, and when I took my bike down to the shop the owner thought that my chainset was getting ready for replacement as well.

I'm not doing anything too hard on my bike I don't think, and I clean and lube my chain regularly but I only got my bike in February so I'm a little concerned that I'm doing something wrong.

For starters as I need a new chainset could anyone recommend me one that is hardwearing but not too expensive, I can manage about £100, at the time of replacement would I have to get a bottom bracket as well?

Also if I'm to get a more expensive one, what will the benefits be? I'm expecting that the life will be longer and it'll be lighter, but what else?

I'm hoping that my LBS will be able to supply and fit the parts as well but if anyone can provide some decent quality replacements at least I'll not be going in blind.

The current part is a Shimano 44/34/22 nine speed Octalink compatible with a Shimano Octalink Cartridge Sealed bottom bracket.#

Thanks

Owen.

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    many chainsets come with the bottom bracket required.....

A shimano deore hollowtech2 bb and chainset can be had for about £40, or an LX for £60......or a hone for £70.

The raceface evolve XC is £80 on Chain Reaction at the mo....

For info, I run the deore chainset on my hardtail. Its cheap and does the job. for info, there is an XT front mech and an xtr rear mech on that bike....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.