New Guy From Billericay Getting Fit!

a17vts
a17vts Posts: 90
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

Well I have just purchased a GT 2008 Avalanche 3.0 Disc from my local bike shop for what I think is a decent price, £250 for people that want to know.

I have been looking on this website for some time and finally decided to set up an account. I am mainly looking to get fit and I use to love riding so this is all new to me. The plan is to get fit riding off road and then aim to ride the London-2-Brighton next June.

I have seen there are loads of people from my way so i'm sure I shall see some poeple when out and about.

Thats all really & I'm sure I shall be asking loads of questions as I have no idea about bikes.

Tom

Comments

• Hello mate from fellow newbie - same as me get fit and lose weight was the plan, lost to date 3/4 stone.

Me and the girlfriend want to do the London to Brighton ( handy as it finishes where I live :D ) Put March 1st 2009 in your diary as thats the firt online registration day and sure to fill out quick (click link for info)

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get_involved/take ... _ride.aspx

Happy training :D
    2010 Specialized FSRxc
    2011 Giant Defy 4
  • a17vts
    Cheers for the heads up on the Lodon-2-Brighton I shall put that in my dairy, my partner said something about the registration date but I forgot it already.
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    Hi a17vts and welcome from another relatively newbie. Not sure where you have or are planning on riding but I can highly recommend Thordon Park for good start away from the roads. Lots of varied routes including bridle/bike paths plus routes through the other interconnecting woods like Warley. I rode there last Thursday to explore and ended up doing about 14 miles and getting covered in mud..was great fun...enjoy your new found hobby.... :)
  • a17vts
    Cheers for the welcome Beardy.

I was thinking about going to Thordon at the weekend as my bike is currently being stored at my partners parents house which is in Brentwood so I can ride all the way there.

14 miles I think may kill me!

I still need to buy some clothes to ride in, any recommendations of decents websites to look at?
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    Far more experience on here than me but I've used a combination of:

Decathlon at Lakeside. Good value for gloves, shorts tops etc...(I use some licra padded cycling shorts but with baggies over the top! )
    Lidl and Aldi when they have there occasional offers on. I think one has some kit in tomorrow..Do a search on this site. I bought a winter cycling top in dark green and black for 6.99 and its excellent even looks ok! They had some reasonable wet weather gear in aswell.
    Chainreactioncycles for my waterproof jacket. Lots of other stuff.
    Apparently Wiggle are good aswell but havn't used them thusfar..
  • a17vts wrote:
    I still need to buy some clothes to ride in, any recommendations of decents websites to look at?

Decathlon are one of the more reasonably priced places to get kit. You can search online but they've got a big store up at Lakeside as well.

As you'll soon find out biking stuff can be ridiculously expensive once you get hooked.
  • a17vts
    I didn't even know Decathlon did stuff like that, I think I'll pop there tonight as I really want to get out on Saturday morning. Glad they are cheap as well. Cheap is always good!

Thanks for the help so far, been really helpful.
  • CycleTopsUK and RoadConvicts shops on Fleabay are good for used tops. Start at 99p most of them and a lot of them end at that price!! Some really cool tops on there.
  • a17vts
    I popped to Decathlon last night after work & I have never been there before & was surprized by how much there was in store. Didn't buy any thing as I had to dash some where. Will be poping there again on Saturday morning too see what I can get.

Also meeting a mate for a light ride on Saturday afternoon in Thorndon so I'll be able to see what my bike is like, not ridden it yet.
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    I recognise that forum name, over from the world of small hot hatches to two wheels!
  • a17vts
    LOL!

I think I know who you are too. IIRC you had a pretty tasty bike!

SSC ring any bells!
  • a17vts
    Well went out Saturday Morning for two hours and again this afternoon for 30 mins and all go so far. I now know how unfit I really am.

Plan to get out again some time next week.

Tom
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    I'll be at Thorndon again next sunday morning if you fancy a bash, I'm not speedy, with the one leg i tend be the "get there in the end" type :)

Also the route I do is good as the first half is warmup, more plodding and slightly uphill with lots of chat and the 2nd half being the payout with all the fun stuff and fast ST :)

It's also easy to skip sections so if anyones feeling tired or just not the thing it's easy to finish early or skip more techy sections.
  • a17vts
    I'll try and get over on Sunday morning, I really do need some one to show me around. When I went out on Saturday I felt lost the whole time, like I never knew where to head. So would be good to follow someone.

I think I may need to take some short cuts, as I felt sick after my first ride on Saturday!