Dawes XC 1.4 Disc anyone?

spid
spid Posts: 5
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello to all, first post - be gentle.

Currently after a VERY basic entry level MTB up to £250 absolute max - I have to get this past the wife police.

Majority of my riding is along fairly gentle country trails with the odd dive totally off road along the way.

I am not particularly name concious I just want whatever represents the best value for money.

A bike that has caught my eye due to its purported value for money is the Dawes XC 1.4 disc - see here - http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.ph ... ts_id=1000

Problem is I can't find any reviews.

Twentyish years ago when I was big into road bikes Dawes were considered to be up there with the best. Have they brought any of that quality to the MTB market?

Would be delighted to hear from anyone with any personal experience of Dawes MTB's or obviously I will listen to any other suggestions and / or advice thrown at me.

One last thing, is this the wrong time of year to be buying? I note all the 09 models are beginning to appear, am I best waiting for the January sales?

Cheers

Spid

Comments

• Hi spid from a fellow newbie. Don't know much about Dawes bikes but do know a bit about retail :-

1. Now is a good time to buy 08 models as dealers don't want them hanging around and want the space for new 09 models so you get a genuine price saving and bear in mind a 2008 bike will be about £50 cheaper than a similarly specced 2009 bike because fuel, steel, aluminium etc has all increased in price.

2. You will have a limited choice of frame sizes, colours etc. but something will appeal keep looking.

3. Don't wait for the January sales. A lot of bigger stores will up their prices 23rd Dec for example by £100 and then on Boxing Day will offer the bike in a Fabulous deal at £100 off!

Happy shopping :D
    2010 Specialized FSRxc
    2011 Giant Defy 4
  • The HutcH
    The HutcH Posts: 107
    Hi. I have a Dawes XC 1.6 07 and i have found it a great bike for road and off-road trail use.