New boy

thebluefox
thebluefox Posts: 200
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Just though I'd post a quick hello. I've recently started riding more to increase fitness, and therefore started to get into riding trails/tracks, although there is only one semi decent near me :(

I'm also looking for a new bike, as my current one is slowly failing and falling to bits, and is actually becoming horrible to ride. However, I have little knowledge of what to look for, but I've spotted some stickies that look helpful, so I'm off to read those :)

Fox :)

Comments

• Ouch, no one saying hello? :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, hi ;-)

I was waiting for you to come back after you had read the stickies!
  • Haha, i see! Theres some informative stuff, can't help feelin i need some tailored advice though :?

And maybe an understanding expert to show a complete newbie the ropes!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    to receive advice you need to ask questions.

also we have No idea what type of bike you are looking for (to do what) or how much you want to spend.

Suggesting a £4K Downhill bike might be wrong :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lol, yeh, a 4k downhill bike would be :P

I'm after something thats not too difficult to ride on the road, but is more as comfortable on the dirt and trails. I've just bought this new imac, so im after something as cheap as possible, possibly second hand. Would prefer hard tail and would love hydraulic disc brakes...... :)
  • supersonic
    Sooo, what budget? Roughly?
  • Depends when the next pay cheque comes!! :P

Looking around £300 - £400 maybe? Was looking to get something better second hand, therefore cheaper?
  • supersonic
    2nd hand is good if you know exactly what you need and are looking for. Remember no warranty, no aftersales care.

Our What Hardtail thread in the buying section has some good ideas.
  • Yah, was looking through that earlier, that Giant Boulder and the GT Avalanche caught my eyes, although the boulder has no disc brakes, and the Avalanches are only cable, but does look a very nice bike.

Its frustrating, as until I'm driving, I'm really restricted to routes from my front door, which consists of one good off road trail, and the rest is road, so i need something as capable in both environments.

Is there any regular meets that i could attend (I come from the car club scene, with regular meets with very helpful members, lol!)
  • supersonic
    Bikes geared towards the road don't usually cut it off road. Bikes geared for off road are usually heavy and cumbersome on road. Need to decide what you favour. Can get hybrids, but tend to be a big compronise to each.
  • yeah, thays what I've heard :(

I enjoy the short bit of off road i do the most, so I'd put up with something heavier on road if it made it less lethal (I've had some close calls already on the easy track i ride now) off road.

Thanks for the help btw :)
  • thebluefox wrote:
    Yah, was looking through that earlier, that Giant Boulder and the GT Avalanche caught my eyes, although the boulder has no disc brakes, and the Avalanches are only cable, but does look a very nice bike.

Welcome mate from a fellow newbie :D

08 GT Avalanche 2.0 and 1.0 Discs are hydraulic brakes and you should be able to get 08 ones for your budget . Happy shopping :D
    2010 Specialized FSRxc
    2011 Giant Defy 4
  • Thanks for the advice Adrian, and welcome to you too :P
  • Hiya

Ive got a vulcan 08 and picking it up on fri - done loads of off roading but only in 4x4's and tractors!!
    heres to pedal power - but not on roads, im a typical driver and dont trust other drivers whislt i'm on a bike!!!!
  • Hi mate.If online shopping is your thing take a look at this site : http://www.paulscycles.co.uk always has offers on. GT Avalanche 1 on offer at the mo £399.Would recommend a test ride at LBS for sizing though