Falkirk area

alphaanne
alphaanne Posts: 48
edited January 2009 in Routes
Iv tried this on a few various threads to no avail......maybe i was just cycling up the wrong path though??
iv not been in the area that long and other than carron valley was wondering where peeps up here peddle??
Any clue would be cool.....actually, hold that, directions would be better :lol:
Live Each Day

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Beecraigs Country Park, Linlithgow.
    Devilla Forest across the Forth.
    Plean Country Park and Tor Wood.
    Pentland Hills, Livingston-Edinburgh.
    Dumyat and Sheriffmuir near Dunblane.
    Blairdrummond Safari Park.

The last one has great tracks and water features. Cyclists tend to get a good speed up when cutting through the grounds.
  • Woodywmb wrote:

Blairdrummond Safari Park.

The last one has great tracks and water features. Cyclists tend to get a good speed up when cutting through the grounds.

:lol:
  • Cheers....

Guess its just a case of getting out and exploring all the local woods.....

Do you think the monkeys would pull my lights off my bike though?......hmmmm :shock:
    Live Each Day
  • Just resurrecting this thread as I'm based in Linlithgow and curious as to what the trail(s) are like at Beecraigs. The last time I was up (walking the dog) the visitor centre didn't seem to have any leaflets about the MTB trail so not sure what to expect, not to mention not sure exactly where to find them!

Think I'll pass on the Blairdrummond suggestion :lol:
  • woodywmb
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... ardinal=10

Try this link.

AVOID Blairdrummond though . . . there is an admission charge. Could cost you an arm and a leg.
  • try mtbscotland.net - we get out for rides at least twice a week in the general area.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    I've been to beecraigs a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very natural singletrack which isn't signposted. If you don't have someone to show you the routes you will have to make it up as you go along - old school style. I've always started at the carpark on the opposite side of the road from the picnic area.
    I have pain!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Plean.....has some decent techincal stuff.
  • I have been the whole way round Plean and there is nothing that technical that i have found!! Where do you go in Plean???
    Orange St4-Reba SL-FullXT
  • Also, where are the tracks at blairdrummond and how do you get to them... i live in Larbert and i am looking for some place local to ride...... any suggestions im too young to drive --- so need it to be local!!!
  • 97wilewa01 wrote:
    Also, where are the tracks at blairdrummond and how do you get to them... i live in Larbert and i am looking for some place local to ride...... any suggestions im too young to drive --- so need it to be local!!!

I think you'll fnd the Blairdrummond suggestion was slightly tongue in cheek, unless you fancy your chances outrunning a lion or two :shock:

I take it you're aware of Carron Valley? That's certainly the closest trail centre to you :)

As per another thread, I did a bit of investigation and discovered some of the trails at Beecraigs, while there's nothing too technical it would be a good way of spending a couple of hours, very handy for me as it's right on my doorstep - well, apart from the horrific climb up to it :lol:
  • Thanks, Mr Wizard... but as i said i am to young to drive and therefore need somewhere that is really local!!! And i know a farmer just beside Blairdrummind and there are several trails there --- however they are very flat and there is nothing tecnical
    was wondering if it was them you were reffering to????
    Thanks,
    Further suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!
    EWAN...
  • 97wilewa01 wrote:
    Thanks, Mr Wizard... but as i said i am to young to drive and therefore need somewhere that is really local!!! And i know a farmer just beside Blairdrummind and there are several trails there --- however they are very flat and there is nothing tecnical
    was wondering if it was them you were reffering to????
    Thanks,
    Further suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!
    EWAN...

Ah, sorry, missed that bit :oops:

Don't know of any other local routes than the ones already mentioned, but let us know if you discover anything :D
  • woodywmb
    Your lack of transport makes route-finding extra difficult. However I suggest you get the Falkirk OS map and cycle every corner of it. There will be pockets of woodland containing paths not shown on the map. Find them and tell the rest of us!

Also, just seven miles or half an hour away from Larbert over the Kincardine Bridge is Devilla Forest which is packed with paths. The cycling is easy but you could knit some of the smaller, harder bits of trail together to make a challenging ride. This site gives you details.

http://www.total-cycling.tk2u.co.uk/rou ... te/devilla.

Then again you could move to Aviemore. :lol: