Fitting FSA Orbit CE Headset

chriskempton
chriskempton Posts: 1,245
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Just had a question on fitting a headset. I've got an FSA Orbit CE and I'm trying to install it to a Planet X Stealth Carbon fork. The problem I have is putting the crown race on the fork column. I originally put the split race on (the pictures on the FSA website suggest it's this way round), but it's a very tight fit, and spreads so much that the lower bearing race then doesn't sit properly on it. Should I be putting the other non-split race onto the fork crown and have the split on top of the upper bearing?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me which way round to install it?

It's FSA Orbit CE (Campag style, 45 deg angular bearing headset)

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    I'm just doing the same.

Yes, the crown race is the non-split one.
    The other part (with the split) fits between the top bearing and the cap.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Cheers Steve
  • Hi there

I've just fitted a FSA headset to my new Planet-X Stealth. The non-split race was very hard to fit to the fork as the ID measurement of the race was nearly the same as the OD of the fork tube. The problem I have at the moment is adjusting the freeplay out of the headset. It seems that the centre bolt of the fork cap has to be tightened very tight to remove the freeplay.
    Even then there still seems to be some movement. Not sure if its the fork bung moving in the steerer tube, or if it's the top split race not compessing the bearing ?

Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome.

Many thanks
  • Hi SJB, afraid I still haven't built my Stealth up yet, otherwise I might have been able to help. I got the crown race fitted at LBS, but that's as far as I've got.

You should email Planet X, I got a very helpful email from someone there on this original topic. I don't think there's any compatability issues.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    I'm having the same problem I think building my Stealth. The non split ring won't go all the down to th bottom of the steerer tube. There 2cm of aluminium tube which is a little wider than the carbon tube, but then my steerer has a further 0.5cm of aluminium tube right at the base which is even wider. The ring won't go over the last 0.5cm. It's not even close to going over. Is this right?
  • Length of inch and a half drainpipe used as a "persuader" !! Don't be tempted by anything metallic. I put the drainpipe in place over the ring then tapped the end of the pipe on the floor to seat the NON split ring....

Mike

PS Had to re-tighten the headset after the first ride, it seemed to bed in a little further.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • genki
    Thanks Mike.

Sounds like a good way of doing it, but did you have that two-step bit of alumnium I described on mine?
  • genki wrote:
    Thanks Mike.

Sounds like a good way of doing it, but did you have that two-step bit of alumnium I described on mine?

Yep ... mine was on a PX SL Carbon ... looked like it would never go on, but it does. Just make sure you keep it square. The "tool" I made is remarkably similar to the actual tool sold for the same purpose ... Mike
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    SJB2801 wrote:
    Hi there

I've just fitted a FSA headset to my new Planet-X Stealth. The non-split race was very hard to fit to the fork as the ID measurement of the race was nearly the same as the OD of the fork tube. The problem I have at the moment is adjusting the freeplay out of the headset. It seems that the centre bolt of the fork cap has to be tightened very tight to remove the freeplay.
    Even then there still seems to be some movement. Not sure if its the fork bung moving in the steerer tube, or if it's the top split race not compessing the bearing ?

Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome.

Many thanks
    Sounds like you've put something in wrong/backwards. Take it apart and try again.
  • genki
    Great. I'll have to find a bit of drainpipe, or talk to mate up the hill who I think has the proper gadget. Have you finished building yours now?
  • genki wrote:
    Great. I'll have to find a bit of drainpipe, or talk to mate up the hill who I think has the proper gadget. Have you finished building yours now?

...yep finished a few weeks back, getting as many rides as possible .. but the weather sucks !!
    genki wrote:

Run the bolt into the bung while not in the steerer, just so it expands just a bit, this might help to stop it turning when it's installed, also ... make sure there is a reasonable gap between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem. You can check if this is the problem by putting an extra spacer in the stack. Make sure everything is clean dry, and oil free.. a bit of friction is required.

Mike
  • I'm yet to finish building up my SL Carbon, but the guy at the bike shop who fitted the crown race for me said that it was a right pain in the chute to get on and that was with the proper tool. I know that the fork race is supposed to be a good interference fit with the steerer, but if lots of people are having trouble then I'd guess that both the OD of the steerer and the ID of the race are at the limits of their respective design tolerances.
  • Hi,
    Came across this thread as I'm having trouble with my bike build.
    Recently bought a Planet X RT-90 Carnac frame and planned to build the entire bike from scratch. This is my first build and wasnt sure on what headset to buy so bought the same one Planet X fit on their fully assembled Carnac road bikes.
    I managed to get the crown race to the bottom of the steerer (with great effort) and I used to a bearing press to insert the upper and lower bearing races but when I insert the steerer up into the frame tube and tighten everything up there is still a few mm gap between the forks and the tube and you can see the crown race.
    It's like the lower bearing race and the crown race do not fit snuggly together.
    I might add that when everything is tightened there is no play in the steering whatsoever and everything feels great.
    Has anyone has a similar issue?