Can you tell me a bit more about Club Runs please?

JGS
JGS Posts: 180
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I've been considering joining a local club (If I can find one near Beeston, Nottingham), but I have only ever ridden on my own. I usually average about 19-20mph on a 20-30 mile ride and about 17-19mph for a 50-60 mile run, although I am usually quite out of breath and sweaty doing this. Does this sound fast enough for your average club pootle about? I ride a Ribble winter training bike, so already have mudguards which should make my bike a bit less anti-social on the wet roads we have at the moment, do I need to consider anything else?

Comments

• BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    You are overqualified for a 'pootle'

Make sure to wear nothing but Assos in a colour that matches your bike or nobody will respect you. Shaving your legs is mandatory - and if you want to show you are really a 'cyclist' you should in fact shave off all body hair, including eyebrows. This will ensure your acceptance into the fold.

What? He asked...
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Just to be REALLY clear - that was said in jest.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • JGS
    BUICK wrote:
    You are overqualified for a 'pootle'

Well that's good to hear. I just want to get out with some local riders to see some different routes and was scared of holding everyone up.

As for colour co-ordination, I can't manage this with normal clothes never mind my bike! :wink:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I would agree, in part, with BUICK, you are well qualified for the club Sunday runs.
    If the club is big enough, there will probably be two groups, one of which will suit your speed.
    These are not races, just ride outs to put miles into your legs.
    Contact the club and arrange to meet them next Sunday for a ride, the sooner you do it, the sooner you'll realise that you have nothing to fear, and you'll enjoy your rides more while chatting to new riding partners, etc... :wink:
    I actually did my first club run today, and thoroughly enjoyed it, very good bunch.
    My first ride incorporated a downhill competition and the yearly Hill Climb comp!
    I was made welcome, did both comps, plus the 48 mile ride, nobody dropped me. Go on contact your local club. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I completely agree with the previous posts. You are well up to the standard and will be able to enjoy the ride without any worry about competence. Most clubs riders will give you tips as you spin along on a wide variety of issues from racing to maintenance. Go along, enjoy it.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I'm also interested in club runs, but my average is well below the OP at 15.4 mph. I've had my Giant SCR2 since July and am making steady progress but would like to get this to nearer 16mph first.

Also I haven't yet gone clipless and still not got proper shoes, but you know credit crunch and all that... hopefully soon.

Anyway what sort of average speed do you think I need as a minimum? What is the typical length of ride? Would bike be acceptable for the club environment? I'm in the Norwich area for what its worth.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Don't worry about average speeds, because when you get out in a group you will be going quicker but using less energy - the slipstream effect. If you are worried you could always not take a turn at the front for the first few runs - just make sure you mention this at the start of the ride :wink:
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I would say your speed is more than enough.
    As for clubs in the Beeston area I don't know if Beeston Road Club is still going but Velo Club Long Eaton certainly are. Other Nottingham clubs are Sherwood CC, Nottingham Clarion and Maperley CC.
    You could ask for advice at The cycle shop at 35 Chilwell Road.
  • JGS
    Carl_P wrote:
    I'm also interested in club runs, but my average is well below the OP at 15.4 mph. I've had my Giant SCR2 since July and am making steady progress but would like to get this to nearer 16mph first.

Try wearing the stiffest shoes you own when out on the bike. Also spinning really does make you go faster. I've been riding singlespeed for years on MTB and only recently gone to road bikes and found that a naturally high cadence has really helped. If you can afford it get a cycle computer with a cadence meter on it to help. Also make sure your tyres are pumped up to their maximum (or if you're like me 10% over that). This really helps with keeping your speed up and you get used to the extra vibration (chunky bar tape can help here too).
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    DON'T PUMP YOUR TYRES UP TO THE MAXIMUM!

Pump them up to the recommended pressure for your weight, the "extra vibration" really won't help at all.

Carl_P I really would recomend getting some pedals and shoes, however, I would think at about 15.4 mph you could probably sit in some club runs.

The trouble is, this is all terrifically general, as some clubs have loads of good racers, some just have a few 3/4 cats and other clubs have no racers on their club runs. This means the average really does vary from club to club.

It's best to send an e-mail first to let them know you are coming.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    JGS wrote:
    Also make sure your tyres are pumped up to their maximum (or if you're like me 10% over that). This really helps with keeping your speed up and you get used to the extra vibration (chunky bar tape can help here too).

Bad idea. Common rookie error.

If you bounce around you don't get full traction, and some of the energy you put into pedalling is wasted. The whole point of pneumatic tyres is to absorb the vibrations, pumping them super hard, does not make you a hero - it makes you a bit stupid :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    I went out with the Derby CTC the other week. Nice socialable crowd, but I found it a bit awkward in a group tbh. On my own, I always try for a decent speed and I think car drivers kind of notice this, and give you that extra leeway/respect ie something like Swarkestone Bridge (The Crewe and Harpur pub, beer garden contains a plaque. It is the point that Bonnie Prince Charlie turned around...) - a long bridge with limited overtaking/narrow lanes, I always try to go as fast as possible, just to clear it/not hold up the traffic. Not clever when people are freewheeling straggled out over 300m, as though it is a Sunday :lol:

It was a 65 mile ride, with a decent pace after lunch.

I think Long Eaton meet at "The Green"/Town Hall car park (Asda roundabout), 9 am on a Sunday
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Carl_P wrote:

Also I haven't yet gone clipless and still not got proper shoes, but you know credit crunch and all that... hopefully soon.

Anyway what sort of average speed do you think I need as a minimum? What is the typical length of ride? Would bike be acceptable for the club environment? I'm in the Norwich area for what its worth.

Carl P I don't know how far you can ride but you are not far off being able to join a slow group on a club run. Don't forget you will use 30% less energy riding in a group so 16 mph average is easy and so is 50-60 miles distance as most club runs go over this distance and stop half way for coffee and cake! If you are in the Norwich area my club is always keen for new blood and run a slow group ride on a sunday morning which averages 16mph. Very friendly bunch and you won't be dropped. Do get yourself some clipless pedals though, you will find it more enjoyable over a long run as well as safer. The link for the club is http://www.veloclubnorwich.org.uk/
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    JGS wrote:
    Hi All,

I've been considering joining a local club (If I can find one near Beeston, Nottingham), but I have only ever ridden on my own. I usually average about 19-20mph on a 20-30 mile ride and about 17-19mph for a 50-60 mile run, although I am usually quite out of breath and sweaty doing this. Does this sound fast enough for your average club pootle about?

Yes, if you can do a solo 19-20 over 20-30 or 17-19 over 50-60 you will easily be able to hang in a typical club run.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I am pretty sure Beeston RC are still going - but like the above poster I'm not sure how active they are.

You'd be welcome to come over and ride with the Derby Merc - 9am where the A38 crosses the A6 Duffield Road (used to be the Palm Court Restaurant until they demolished it) but probably a little too far from you for a regular ride. I know a few VC Long Eaton and they are a good crowd so worth trying them.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    [Carl P I don't know how far you can ride but you are not far off being able to join a slow group on a club run. Don't forget you will use 30% less energy riding in a group so 16 mph average is easy and so is 50-60 miles distance as most club runs go over this distance and stop half way for coffee and cake! If you are in the Norwich area my club is always keen for new blood and run a slow group ride on a sunday morning which averages 16mph. Very friendly bunch and you won't be dropped. Do get yourself some clipless pedals though, you will find it more enjoyable over a long run as well as safer. The link for the club is http://www.veloclubnorwich.org.uk/[/quote]

Thanks for that Marko. Pedals and shoes are next on the list. I'm steadily increasing the distance of my rides when time permits. 48 miles this past weekend. I'll next try for 55 ish.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • JGS
    JGS wrote:
    Also make sure your tyres are pumped up to their maximum (or if you're like me 10% over that). This really helps with keeping your speed up and you get used to the extra vibration (chunky bar tape can help here too).

Bad idea. Common rookie error.

I rode BMX for over 7 years on tyres pumped to 130 psi, so I am very used to the vibration. I've always noticed I rolled further for less effort on my BMX with harder tyres (and in my car), so assumed this applied to road bikes as well. As for the weight thing, I am 6' 2" and 14 stone, so kind of on the heavy side of most bike weight guides, I'm certainly at the top end of weight for my mountain bike shock adjustments (200lb~).
    I am pretty sure Beeston RC are still going - but like the above poster I'm not sure how active they are.

You'd be welcome to come over and ride with the Derby Merc - 9am where the A38 crosses the A6 Duffield Road (used to be the Palm Court Restaurant until they demolished it) but probably a little too far from you for a regular ride. I know a few VC Long Eaton and they are a good crowd so worth trying them.

Do you have a Google map of the start point? I work in Derby so have a parking pass for Chapel Street car park which would cut down on the distance done in one day (I don't fancy a near century any time soon!). I'll also check into the Beeston RC too, that sounds great for me.