Raising handlebars on a GT Avalanche 1.0

Chunkin
Chunkin Posts: 12
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
OK, here's my next stupid question: :oops:

"How on earth do you raise the handlebars on my avalanche?" The manual's no use as it is only a few black and white pages and bears little resemblence to the actual bike.

On top of the shaft there is a 5mm Allen screw which I can take out and look down the hollow stem, but there doesn't look to be anything to adjust.

The horizontal section that goes from the stem to the handlebars is secured by another couple of allen screws, but it doesn't look as if adjusting them will make any difference.

Maybe you can't adjust the height? Seems unlikely, but possible.

The unit is markes up as being a "Cane Creek ZS", but if I do a search for than on the good old 'tinternet I don't find anything helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new bars or new stem, if there are no spacers ontop of the stem that you can move under the stem.

and yes all bike makers manual are generic and dont cover anything.

try the parktools website linky below.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Chunkin wrote:
    Maybe you can't adjust the height? Seems unlikely, but possible.
    It's not like the old days when 99% of bikes had a quill stem and you could adjust them all for height. As said above, if it has one or more spacers that are currently above the bars then you will be able to move them below to raise the bars.

If not you'll need a stem with a different angle to raise the bars, or you'll need bars with more of a rise built into them. You can buy adjustable-angle stems these days if that's your thing but you'll compromise weight and strength.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_stem
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    My Avalanche 1 came with 4 spacers all below but that could be the way Evans built it. (Not a problem for me as they feel right for me) But the answer to your question is as stated by nicklouse and Daz555, spacers is the method for raising the bars on an Avalanche 1. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Chunkin
    OK, thanks for that.

I've got four spacers, all below, which is as described by handful. The bike is due to go back to Evans for its first "free" service in a week or two so I'll ask if they can add any more spacers.

If not then I'll just get used to the height I have at the moment. Having shelled out rather a lot recently on the bike and all the gear (including roof bars and a thule 591 bike carrier), I think the wife would kill me if I said I was going to buy some bits to replace something that's currently on the bike!
  • They won't be able to add more spacers, as the spacers just fill the gap between the length of the steerer tube of the fork and the headtube of the frame. You can cut the steerer tube down and reduce the amount of spacers, but without changing forks you can't add more.

Looking at the Avalanche 1.0 on Evans, you have a 25degree rise stem already, (assuming the spec is the same as on their website) and a riser bar. You could fit a higher riser bar, but that's probably about it.

On another note, make sure you have refitted the stem and top cover of the headset correctly, so that there is no play in the headset. Not sure if you loosened the stem bolts or not.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Chunkin
    OK. That's all clear.

I didn't loosen anything else so no worries on that account.

This is all to do with the joys of being 6' 5". Can't fit into planes or coaches properly, can't get trousers long enough. Fortunately the XL frame on the bike is OK. Still, at least I can see in cinemas and at concerts and footy matches. :P
  • Chunkin wrote:

This is all to do with the joys of being 6' 5". Still, at least I can see in cinemas and at concerts and footy matches. :P

So it's YOU who always stands in front of my wife at concerts! She's only 5'1" (AND A HALF!) and seems to attract freakishly tall people (no offence :wink: )[/b]
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08