help with new chain and rings

ginger8
ginger8 Posts: 5
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
hi newbie here ( bin in the background a while)

started riding again after almost 20 years out. used to ride bmx/mountain bikes but now im on a road bike

my problem is. i need a new chain and rings but not sure what will fit with what.And theres so much choice.???

chain is shimano HG73 for a 9 speed (better/lighter/stronger)
double ring set 48/34 (110 bcd RPM crank) i would like to go up a slightley different gear ratio, but dont understand the ratio's.

i have around £60 to spend on all 3 items and would appreciate some advice.

i currently have a carrera vanquish bike i bought second hand off ebay if that helps anyone.

thanks

Ginger8

Comments

• LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Wiggle do a good selection of chainrings. You do not mention the cassette, this is normally the bit that wears out and is replaced with the chain. If you want higher gearing a cassette with an 11 tooth high gear will get you up to a good speed.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Assuming Shimano gears, you'd be better going for new chainset, cups, chain, and cassette. You should get all four from Ribble for your budget.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Also look at Stronglight, you could get a complete chainset with bottom bracket or just chainrings to fit your existing cranks. Sram are good for chains, comes with a powerlink which makes removing for cleaning much easier.
    As stated above, if you need a chain then the cassette is most likely worn and needs replacing.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • thanks for the info guys, didnt think about the cassette.