Downhill Pains

David Lund
David Lund Posts: 602
edited October 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Not sure if anyone else has this problem but latly i have been having slight pains in the back of my legs on long downhills, as far as i can tell this is due to the fact im out of the saddle and lent back slightly which pulls on the muscles in the back of my legs. After a while i cant keep off the saddle and have to sit slightly, obviously ruining the flow of the riding and not bieng ablt to jump.
I am a very tall rider at about 6 ft 6 with long legs so it may just be a problem of leverage.
Does anyone else suffer from this? Any help would be great.
Dave

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Achilles, calf or hamstring area?
  • Sorry should have been more specific :wink:
    its mainly calf and hamstrings and around the back of the knee area.
    I have had trouble with my knees in the past but not the same pain.
    David
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I.m going to move this into the Health and Fitness section David. Let the experts see ;-)
  • stretch stretcch stretch ......

It could be loads of things but often these kind of stresses are down to short muscles, in which case they need lenghthened with stretches when the muscles are warm. Hold each stretch for at least 30 secs when you feel it easing increase the stretch and hold for another 30 secs....and so on. For stretches just check websites for hamstring/ calf developmental stretches.

Thats the simple solution if the problem is simple.....

Could however be weak quads, therefore hamstrings and knees are taking strain....

Or it could be ligaments around your knees joints....

Or, and dont frown, it could just be that you need to strengthen these muscles as they are getting fatigued due to not being strong enough for what you are doing.....

Outside options could be dehydration or lack so salt causing a cramp?

If problem persists then its time for the physio before you make it worse and harder to fix
    Live Each Day
  • Great thanks for the detailed reply :)
    Yes i do need to try and build up my muscles thats a fact and that may be the way to solve it, i usualy do lots of streching before every ride but il try and do more and more often.
    Thanks for the help
    Dave
  • nmarchini
    nmarchini Posts: 109
    Hi, stretching before the ride my have no real benefit, there is more evidence for stretching after exercise providing more benefit. (if you have time this article explains why http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0250.htm)

Use these links for a really good stretching exercise

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0206.htm

This one I cannot straighten my legs but it's ok to do it with the legs bent, as long as the calves are stretching and it feels like the heels are moving backwards.
    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/downward-dog.htm
    Bikes - '97 GT Psyclone, '94 Kona Condercone, '05 Rock Lobster Team TIG SL.