Training and Shift work - any experience

nmarchini
nmarchini Posts: 109
edited November 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Hi, i'm just getting back into training now after enjoying some leisurley riding over the summer months. I work shift work and the pattern is Days on 4 days off, then 4 nights on and then 4 nights off. The shifts are 12 hours long so no time to train when i'm working. Training on all of the 4 days off will leave me knackered and i'm sure I may overtrain. Has anyone had experience with this or knows anything about training twice in one day?

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.
Bikes - '97 GT Psyclone, '94 Kona Condercone, '05 Rock Lobster Team TIG SL.

Comments

• I sometimes train 4 or more days in a row - as long as you mean cycling as opposed to weight lifting which i assume you do?

Have you though about cycling to work? A Commute provides two rides in a day and will help your fitness!
    Kona Kula
  • nmarchini
    Hi, thanks for the reply, yes i do mean cycling. I sometimes cycle to work but it's ony 6 miles so not really far enough to build my endurance.
  • Hi I work shifts as well and find the only way I can get out for long enough to matter is night rides, get some decent lights and get up thoose hills.

I go out on my days off shift and 3 nights a week as well.

Nick
  • Can't you use your ride to work as a "keeping your hand in" type ride and then on your 4 off do a couple of long tough rides to progress your endurance and fitness.

I work a similar shift pattern and trying to fit in rides after a 12 hour shift and having to get up early the next day is hard going. Also, I don't like to knacker myself out too much before a night shift by going on long rides, but I can't help thinking that I'm wasting the day if I don't go out - even though I should be sleeping!

What I do is look at my shift pattern as an 8 day week - 4 on 4 off. So, maybe it's worth doing the 6 mile commute and then maybe 2 long rides in your 4 days off. Or push it a bit more by extending your commute by taking a detour to mix it up occasionally and maybe ride 3 of the 4 day's off. That way, in 8 days, you are doing at least 2 long rides and at least another 24miles when you are working.
  • nmarchini
    I'll prob look to take a detour on my work rides but it's hard to get up earlier to make the ride longer. all the advice sounds good, ill have to work something out with work in case i get a flat if i'm more out of the way when riding to work.
  • i work shifts too, its an uphill 5 miles into work, which suits me, no point in doing to much before a shift, but i look for a longer route on the way home, usually just wing it and see where i end up clock up 15 miles or so, admittedly im not doing 12 hour shifts so i get a bit more leeway than yourself, then i go on a beast of a ride on one of my days off and have a rest day.

it is hard to find a good balance though
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • I work shifts and have two young kids so struggle with time and have found kettle bells to be the answer. I have found a work out called the Russian Kettlebell Challenge. Takes 20-25 mins 4 times a week and leaves me feeling like I've done two hours plus and the gym. It does a weight type work out and because there is working rest between sets it's also an aerobic type work out.
  • I work a series of day, night and back shifts, many of them between 10-18 hours. I don't cycle into wok on day shifts as I would have to get up far too early, but cycle in on the back and night shifts, I find cycling back from these shifts really refreshing, although the initial thought of cycling back after a long shift is horrible.

I find this keeps my fitness up very well and if I need to train on something more specific then I can do it without having to worry about my mileage.